Saturn - 1st image with ED120

MartinB

Last night was my first proper outing for the ED120. Lovely views of Saturn but I'm not planning to use it for planetary imaging, prefering my C8. However, Saturn was too good to resist. I'm pretty impressed with what it managed to pull out considering the relatively small aperture and short focal length. Tal x3 barlow. Registax 5fps 180 secs

image.jpg

Martin

Nice image.

Actually very interested as I thought about buying one of those and that is one of the first images I have seen taken with an ED120

The colours are interesting. Are they a consequence of using that scope?

Geoff

Actually very interested as I thought about buying one of those and that is one of the first images I have seen taken with an ED120

The colours are interesting. Are they a consequence of using that scope?

I think there are very few ED120s around Geoff. Hopefully you'll be seeing more images from this scope soon - M81 with a bit of luck.

I should thing the "interesting colours" are down to my processing doodlings rather than the scope. Is this any better?

image.jpg

Martin

I wasn't casting doubt on your imaging or processing skills.

I had also read that some people reckoned there was colour fringing with the ED120 as the focal length wasn't long enough. I'm not sure how many of them had actually seen or used one by the way!

It just reminded me a little bit of some earlier efforts I made with an F8 achromat I used to have.

The first image is really good, but your second one is even better.

As I said previously, I look forward to seeing lots more. Talking of Astrofest, I'm sure that someone was selling an ED120 OTA for under a grand. Makes me wish I'd had the dosh to get it.

Geoff

I wasn't casting doubt on your imaging or processing skills.

Well you should cos they're iffy!!

Geoff, the thread that I saw on Cloudy Nights was pretty low IQ stuff. There was a theoretical concern that the ED120 would be a lot worse than the ED100 because it had a larger aperture but a smaller F ratio. In the same breath people were saying that it was too expensive which perhaps should have made people think that maybe a bit of extra work went into the lens! Only one of these people had looked through the scope and he contradicted himself over the course of 2 threads. These 2 threads are mentioned by everyone who talks about being interested in an ED120 and have had a pretty devastating effect on sales. This means that second hand ones are pretty few and far between but can be picked up for a good price. I paid £750.

Rog I should really have got the NS8 out but was too busy trying to sort out guiding with the GPDX. Just wouldn't work. Have finally discovered that the RJ11 cable needs a small adaptor for use with Skysensor 2000. Ian King is sending me one so should be sorted. Glad I got to find out on a moonlit night.

• 2 weeks later...

Great image with a great scope. It would be a shame to avoid using it for planet imagery. I bet you could pull some corkers out of the moon with that baby MB. Don't disappoint usnow. Go for it big time.

Ron. :)

Archived