Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just me, or does it just not get dark now?

jonathan

I kept looking out of the window and it still looked light, finally went out for a glance at 11.30pm but could only see the brightest stars against a fairly light blue night sky, this is supposedly at new moon too.

This is my first summer owning a telescope so maybe I just never appreciated how light it is in the summer, compared to winter it felt like a 3/4 moon! Does it ever get pitch black?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did an observing stint on Thursday night from 24:00 to 02:00 - it was pretty dark then at Amsterdam latitude, and a clear moonless night coincided with a public holiday in Holland! The summer targets make the effort worthwhile. I'm planning on another late-night session tonight - I won't be out again for the rest of the month (except for a bit of lunar observing).

I remember looking at the Summer Triangle and a few other asterisms like that last summer with just my eyes (no bins), I could see a heck of a lot more then, maybe that was more towards September time.

I live in Edinburgh and generally have to give up astronomy for about 3 months in summer. Pity - as it's beautifully clear tonight. Saturn's over/behind the roof too. :)

Yes, I noticed that too about Saturn, too low from my back garden now. Still, at least I got a good night's viewing in of it several weeks ago :)

I kept looking out of the window and it still looked light, finally went out for a glance at 11.30pm but could only see the brightest stars against a fairly light blue night sky, this is supposedly at new moon too.

Same here too in Kent. The sky still has a hint of blue and only a few bright stars and Saturn are beginning to shine through, certainly can't make out any constellations and it's now 11.00pm.

Wait till the Moon shows its face things get even worse, but of course now is the time to enjoy chasing those hard to find features on the Moons surface, in the comfort of decent temperatures, try the Moon 100 challenge :)

i managed a few hours of decent observing last night in cambridge, was nice and clear.... i did some manual finding lol, seems i am spoilt by my goto as i struggled to find much :) was a decent night till about 12:30 when the dew got me soaked lol

worse part is its only going to get worse :)

I had a good session last night in Bedfordshire, from about 11 to 12:30. Earlier on Saturn was wonderfully clear, some of the best seeing I've had from my garden.

I must admit that I was out longer than I had expected, trying to figure out alignment of my new GOTO system, but once it was sorted I had a good scout around the sky. The Hercules Globular was very clear and I had quite a clear view of the ring nebula too.

Dan

I tried to get a couple of hours in last night from 11:30pm but it was pretty much ruined by neighbours on both sides leaving Thier outdoor security lights on. Not motion sensors. Just bright 100watt lanterns.

Neighbours on the right were in so no need for outdoor light. Neighbours on the left have been away for a couple of weeks but lights on each night.

I live in a small village on the edge of the Peak District that has no street lights. Such a shame! Looks like I'm going to have to drive up into the hills in future.

My neighbours also have a security light on the side of their garage wall and it shines over the six foot boundary wall into mine. So I had a word and thankfully, they did something about it. However, when I mentioned that it was spoiling my astronomy sessions, the lady of the house seemed a bit put-out. Their garden is surrounded by a six foot wall with neighbours on either side so they don't need that light at all.

Had a great session last night in sussex. from 11-2.45am. Only really dark from about 1.30-2.30. Despite all that light still got cracking early views of saturn. After some searching we had great first views of the Dumbell nebula, the Ring nebula, The Swan nebula although this was very feint and ithe two nearby clusters. M13 in hercules, m81 and m82!! Not bad for a light sky, And no dew at all, even the grass stayed dry.

Pick your time and give it a go!! still worth it

In southern France we never go below four hours of full darkness. It is one of those things about moving around the earth that is so fascinating. I didn't quite get to see the midnight sun in Norway but wasn't far off. You could read in a tent at midnight.

Then on the equator you get roughly 12 hours of day and the same of night with the shortest of twighlights because the sun is dropping vertically. All very interesting. I am now ninety percent sure the Earth is round...

Olly

This is my first summer owning a telescope so maybe I just never appreciated how light it is in the summer, compared to winter it felt like a 3/4 moon! Does it ever get pitch black?

Come up to Thurso 58.5N and we can read Sky at Night magazines outside at 1 a.m.Its the only way to see stars.:).Not strictly true,can make out the Plough overhead but thats it.From West to North to East is never dark now.I usually give up the hobby,apart from the occassional look at the moon, from the start of May and wait patiently for the Persied meteor shower on the 12th Aug.

Yep, its really noticable! The length of the days mean that this time of year for UK you'll get maybe 2 hours somwhere between 11pm-2am where the sky is at its darkest, YET it won't be as dark as it could be :) I try and make the most of these months by getting out in the sun that deprives us of our good observing during this season.

I've noticed this too. I have to wait until around 11ish before I can get any serious observing and my eyes have adapted. I don't mind on a weekend, it's just during the week..when I have to stay up longer. Mind you it's going to pour down tonight where I am, so there's little chance of any viewing.

The ironic part is that the better (less light polluted) your skies the worst this affect is!

In Essex it never really got astronomically dark throughout the whole year, because the LP came out long before the final effects of the sun went away.

Where I am now the affect of twilight is much more noticeable. In Essex which was 51.5 N I lost astro darkness between 24th May and 24th July - roll on the 24th July although I haven't checked what the date is here...

Cheers

Ant

It's late July as well sometime up here Ant. TBH, I bring the mount in from the garden in late May and it doesn't go out again until late July.

Just checked, I don't get astro darkness again until the 25th of July and even then, it's a whopping 58 minutes. I guess it'll be a few minutes less for you being that bit further up the A1 :).

Tony..

Cheers mate - I was looking for SteveL's page on twilight times and when you get darkness back - but I cannot find it.

Must ask him for it as I think it would be very interesting for this thread...

Ant

Just come back from southwest France. Very nice dark skies, lots of faint fuzzies and Cassini was visible even in my small scope along with a few of Saturn's moons.

However, we where constantly disturbed by a fellow holiday maker, he would not leave us alone - one night he popped out,

Annoying man - "I say is that a gun?" (pointing to the telescope)

Myself - "No sir, its a telescope I'm observing Saturn".

Annoying man - "Ok...... I best be off"

Archived