Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just me, or does it just not get dark now?

jonathan

Cheers mate - I was looking for SteveL's page on twilight times and when you get darkness back - but I cannot find it.

Must ask him for it as I think it would be very interesting for this thread...

Ant

I couldn't find it either - but here's a substitute until Steve kindly reposts the much better chart he designed...

Sun and moon rise/set project

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use this page to create a calender page for the month to give me sun set times and twilight times as well.

Custom Location Entry for Sunrise Sunset Calendar

i usually set it up in January and get the whole year month by month , copy the page and it pasts nicely into excel needs a little formatting but it is not much. you will need you long and lat

i set the time format to 24 hr it reads strange at first but you get used to it

you can select Civil, Nautical, and astronomical twilights moon phases and rise and fall times to go with the sun rise / set times

each day will then give you the following breakdown this is set for roughly 51 north 3 west you should be more accurate but this was for demo purpose only

Twi A: light

Twi N: 3:05

Twi: 4:13

Sunrise: 4:59

Sunset: 21:24

Twi: 22:09

Twi N: 23:18

Twi A: light

Moonrise: 13:47

Moonset: 1:09

First Qtr: 2:12

i then select the info in the calender and copy (just the calender) and paste it into excel one tab for each month. the little moon symbols come over as well and they get put n the correct cells in excel. takes about ten mins to get all the info and then format it how you want it .

Hope it helps

Grahame

This is my second summer since I took up astro and I had a similar reaction last summer, just how short the summer nights are

Now living in Oxford, but having lived in Harrogate for 8 years and having spent time even further north ("white nights" in Tallinn and Saint Petersburg...Moscow...) you'd have thought I would have been savvy to that

....one solution is to plunge on some solar kit, more than doubles your astro time (especially if you work from home....)

We're a little more fortunate on the extreme south coast. We still managed a good 3 hours of observing Saturday night rattling off stacks of Messiers. While the skies aren't as dark as they are in early May or August, they are still dark enough to show the Milkyway in all its glory. Or pickup M51 in the finderscope. No complaints and no reason for me to pack the scope away.

So nothing North of Inverness then.How surprising.:)

I am sure that if you ask Steve will add it to the list. It was mainly from what I can remember the Star camp locations with a few others put in when requested. I don't know how active it is now though.

Stigs Sky Calender might be useful: is very good to find out when it gets darks and how long for including moons phases and special events (Conjunctions etc.) I've not had my scope long so can absolutely impatient for the winter, hoping to see even more with a fully darken sky :)

only confused by what the actual difference between Astro and Amateur Dark means.

Astro dark is when the sun gets -18 degrees or lower past the horizon, at which point the sky is truly "dark"

Amateur Dark is -15 degrees or more... pretty dark but not completely black.

Nautical Dark is -12 degrees or more... its blue, quite obvioulsy blue!

Astro dark is when the sun gets -18 degrees or lower past the horizon, at which point the sky is truly "dark"

Amateur Dark is -15 degrees or more... pretty dark but not completely black.

Nautical Dark is -12 degrees or more... its blue, quite obvioulsy blue!

Thank you for the explanation. :)

Archived