TonySparsis

Hi Stargazers

I am a 60 YO M who has ventured into this hobby late in life. Saying that I have always watched the heavens and all the NASA programs. Been to Kennedy Space centre three times. A great place.

Have two young children growning up very rapidly. As they become a bit more independant I have treated myself to a few bits and bobs. My first scope was a Toysurus special, many years ago, bought for my son who showed no interest. My next scope was a bit more adventurous. NexStar se4 with goto. Got the real bug. After a year with this scope I moved up to an Explorer 200p SynScan EQ5.

What a learning curve this one is. Not been in the garden with it yet, still coming to terms with what I have bought. I would like to get into Astrophotography a bit more using my Canon DSLR 550d etc; I use Photoshop and Registax 4. If there is any advice anyone can offer I am open to suggestions.

Cheers

Tony

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Tony, welcome to SGL :D

For making a start into astro-photography I can really recommend a read of Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

Easy to read, there's loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other good advice aimed at the imaging novice. Also covering choosing the right equipment - explaining what kit you'll need and, more importantly, why.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. :D

Have a go with the scope in daylight, and get used to all the bells and whistles, it will save you time when it's dark.

Set up the finder scope and get it aligned on a distant target, such as a chimney or aerial, you can then fine tune this on a star when it's dark.

Clear skies!

hi tony is there no one local to you who you could share some nights out with ? were are you in the world ?,have you tried the other parts of sgl for answer ?there is lots of help with pics ect

Hi Todd8137

Thanks for those words. I am in Cambridge. I know your part of the world well. Love Chesterfield, and the model train shop. Great place, are thy still going? Got a friend who is keen and resonably newish, so between the the two of us we will get there. Both of us have a science background so should be able to cope for a bit. But..... I will be up on SGL with questions and sharing, so get your thinking caps on.

Cheers

Archived