Ey up from leeds!!!

boomster

Hi all,

Just recently joined stargazers lounge and it seems to be a very good forum! My aim is to get into astro imaging, to this end i have modified my Toucam webcam and currently use it in an 8" orion optics reflector. I have a few images already but I expect for deep sky objects I will need to get away from Leeds.

If anyone can suggest some good observing sites within a 1hrs drive from leeds light polluted skies I would be most greatful!!:)

Clear skies,

Boomster

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Boomster, and welcome to SGL.

For DSO's your webcam will need to be modified to take long exposures (unless it already is), but it should produce some great lunar/planetary images.

Hi,

I performed the SC1 mod on it and it seems to work fine (tested in a dark room). I have yet to try any deep sky stuff but I expect I will need travel away from Leeds to do this.

Would light pollution filters help? I have had no experience with these but I expect that given the long time exposures that are needed I would need to travel away from the city!

SC1 will be fine.

I take 30s exposures from my front garden (using DSLR and CCD) which is amply supplied with no fewer than 7 streetlights and get reasonable LP results, if not shooting too close to an actual streetlight. Can get some quite acceptable results with that sort of exposure length, depending on the object.

However, dark skies always help :)

Archived