Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Request: more images - Rosette in narrowband

rosette.jpg

There was a request for more images. I won't spam you with more, I promise! (other than my current images from now on)

Very tricky processing, a Hubble palet. I guess this one is allright. Bottom line is that we don't have that many clear nights in Holland (same as UK I guess), so why spend so much time on just one subject? Cause it looks really great on the wall!!!:D

Really nice translucent appearance but I would ask - what's causing the nebula to emit light? As a subject I'd look at that and think - how is it visable without strong light sources?

Really nice translucent appearance but I would ask - what's causing the nebula to emit light? As a subject I'd look at that and think - how is it visable without strong light sources?

The cloud which gave birth to the cluster (NGC2244 central to the Rosette) is largely made of hydrogen and has been ionized by strong radiation from the hot young stars to which it gave birth. As the electrons recombine they emit photons mostly in the Ha line. However, as this excellent shot reveals, they are not alone and other emission lines are being generated as well by the ionization of other atoms.

The strong light sources you are wondering about are there in the cluster but they don't work by reflection so much as by ionization. I'm a numpty on all ths but isn't UV the dominant ionizing radiation in clusters like this?

Olly

Archived