Greetings from Skegness

cosmic terrorist

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so thought I'd say a quick hello. My name is Shane, I'm 24 from Skegness, Lincolnshire. I've been interested in Astronomy for as long as I can remember but have only recently started to take it seriously. I've just bought my first telescope, nothing fancy but it will do for starters I suppose.

I look forward to talking to you guys and learning more about this fascinating hobby!

Regards

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know why they call people from Lincolnshire 'yellowbellies'?

There are a number of possibilities.

1) When the rich farmer had a rather plain daughter that he wanted to marry off legend has it that he would cover her stomach with gold sovereigns as an inducement to prospective suitors.

2) The local regiment wore a yellow under jacket.

3) There used to be a frog in the fens that had a yellow belly.

That is just a few of the possible derivations, no doubt others can add to the list.

I have just found another possibility from google for "yellowbellies" which made I chuckle..

"Yellow-belly, A person born in the Fens of Lincolnshire (From the yellow, sickly complexion of persons residing in marshy situations.)"

Archived