NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just saying Hi!

Tomjo59

Hello fellow stargazers!

I don't know why I haven't stumbled across this site before now, but I'm glad I have. I became interested in astronomy at about the age of seven or eight, in the late 1960s, the time of the Apollo program, and I was lucky enough to be given a copy of Patrick Moore's book The Observer's Book of Astronomy. This is still a much treasured posession.

My parents bought me a Tasco 60mm refractor, an instrument that I know a lot of people started with, which I kept for many years, but I have to admit to having been more of an 'armchair' astronomer in recent times, largely because I lived in the middle of Southampton, and the light pollution, though not as bad as the biggest cities, still dulled my enthusiasm for active observing.

Recently though, I have moved out to a village between Southampton and Salisbury, where the skies are much darker (Milky Way clearly visible!), though there is still some sky glow from Southampton, especially the container port, some 12 miles away. Consequently, I am now considering buying my first 'serious' telescope. The front runner at the moment is a Celestron 11” SCT, possibly mounted on a permanent pier, so I am wondering whether to go the whole hog and have something like a run-off shed type observatory, or a smaller structure of some kind that just contains the mounting, so that I could just attach the tube assembly when required – does anybody else have something like this?

Anyway, the Lounge looks like the ideal place to pick up useful tips and information, so perhaps I'll finally be able to make some decisions!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived