Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All of us are in the gutter

wiseman

I have been meaning to get serious about astonomy for some time.

Now , I belive is the time

I studied Astrophysics at Uni in late70's/early 80's.

We had the use of an observatory, with an unremembered telescope that had a motor to track sidereal time. I remember seeing bu%%er all, usually due to cloud cover during our scarce night time stints. I also remember if being very cold.

I had assumed it would take several thousand pounds to get a good telescope, and now I am retired I have less funds than that available.

However, I do live in SW france in a small village with about an acre of land, fields all around, and low light pollution and warm watching for most of the year.

Dad-in-law was at the UK campsite that you guys all turned up to recently and informed me that it was possible to get set up for less than I had imagined. So here I am.

I have read some threads on equipment, and will spell out what my requirements are in the appropriate place.

Cheers

Wise

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Wise, Welcome to the forum :)

You'll find a wealth of info in here and there's are always folk around willing to share advice and tips 'n' tricks.

Have a good trawl through whilst thinking about the direction you want to take and the kit you'll need.

SGL's forum search tool and Google are your friends. But if you can't find something, or don't understand, then it's daft not to ask - somebody on here (can't remember who) once said that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

I really envy you those dark, rural skies... you lucky devil :eek:

Welcome to SGL. I'm fairly new here myself and also retired but you will quickly find that this is an amazing resource. Spend some time looking through the threads on subjects that interest you and I'm sure you will be able to make a balanced decision on what type of telescope will be right for you.

Hello Wise, welcome to SGL! Sounds like you have an excellent location, don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and find us all camped on your land :)

Good luck!

Z

Archived