Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any negative points for an 8 inch Dob?

I plan of purchasing the 8 inch Skywatcher Skyliner 200P and have heard great things about these scopes already. What I want to know are the negative points.

Appreciate the mount is no good for AP but other than perhaps hooking up a cheap webcam for the moon, don't intend ever to do real AP.

My max budget is £300. I have a few reasonable EPs just now so want to spend my budget on the scope only.

I am fit and could mange the portability of this, I would be moving this less than five metres from my garage to my viewing area anyway.

So people, what are your thoughts. If there is another scope I have overlooked, please let me know.

I mainly want to continue to view DSOs and perhaps dabble in the planets but not seriously though. I currently have a cheap Tasco and the mount is no good so if I were to choose another scope, the £300 would need to cover the mount also.

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For your situation where movement is going to be five meters from garage to viewing, I would buy a second hand larger scope.  I paid £190 for my 12" revelation dob, and it's great.  I put castor wheels on the bottom (with brakes which work well), and it's an excellent "grab and go" scope!

Down side is simply that if you do not manage to point it at the object you want to view then you don't see anything.

Safest option is to expect to spend the first few nights getting used to using it, do not expect to get things in the field of view from the first minutes of use. It might seem obvious. Also have a short list of easy things to point it at.

Have seen posts from

"Seen more in the first night with a goto then in 2 years with a Dobsonian", to

"Wish I had bought a Dobsonian first they are so easy to use".

So that covers both extremes.

it will provide great views of all objects and for the money paid will really surprise you. personally I'd say essential equipment is also :

red dot finder of some kind

if feasible a right angle correct image finder

collimation tool

decent star map book

dim red torch

if this means buying used then do so to stay within budget.

you'll be delighted. eyepieces etc can come later.

The only fun you'll have is if you want to view a planet at high power. The constant nudging and judders dying down is interesting. No wait, balancing can be an issue if you have a finder scope, telrad, 2" eyepieces, then switch to 1.25" - all depends. Some scopes don't seem to have a problem. Mine did to start with until I modified it a bit.

I purchased a 12" scope second hand which required a dob base building. I was going to buy tube rings for it and stick it on my EQ. Never happened. A Dob is so quick to set up and be viewing with and to move around, especially with a trolley or wheels.

The only issue I have at present is knowing that if I had a bigger telescope, I could have a bigger image at the focal plane, but then the bigger scope brings with it, its own problems with weight size, ect. At f/6 focal ratio the Skyliner is an excellent choice to make, no doubt about it. Don't expect hubble images with it. M31 Andromeda from 57° N is just a small grey patch of ' Yeah, what-ever?' but its 2.5 million light years away, impressive. But then I took this telescope to a much darker, no street light pollution, and I was blown away with what I saw. The 8" is a sensible choice, there are bigger, but trust me, an f/6 is a great scope. If I went bigger, I would get the 12" f/5 rather than the 10" f/4.8

It looks like a wonderful telescope. Great value too, with that 9x50 finder included.

A collimation tool will help you get the sharpest possible views from it, and if you glue flocking paper to the inside of the tube to absorb any stray light you'll get extra  contrasty views.

The SkyWatcher 8" has handles for carrying.

The Revelation 8" has, a 10:1 focuser / cooling fan / adjustable pivot points / usable 9mm plossl and 2" 26mm eyepieces.

My money would go on the Revelation to get all of the extra freebies.

It's the same price as the SkyWatcher.

You may need a water butt stand depending on your height.

I use one for comfortable viewing while standing.

Unbeatable for the price, I often regret selling mine, not entirely sure why I did?

Anyway, the only downside for me out the box was the 9x50 finder! It's a lovely finder but it presents you with so many stars that it can be quite tricky to star hop around. I would much prefer it if skywatcher knocked another 10 pounds off the price and gave you a basic red dot which doesn't magnify.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Seems I am on the right track, just need to cover all bases in terms of new vs. larger aperture second hand.

I already have a RDF from my current scope so I intend to transfer this to any new Dob.

Cheers,

Mark

if you can buy second hand, good condition, I would think the 12" f/5  has more going for it, over a 10"  f/4.8 ratio.  As John mentions. if your going to photograph anything up there, you'll need a sturdy  mount that can track and follow  the targets  for  those longer exposures. This is generally what a  Dobsonian was NOT designed for. But for visual use only, you wont better a Dobsonian for its simplistic setup.

Mark, I assume you are familiar with the size of the 8" dob v 12" dob.

The 8" is a great "grab & go" scope, capable of being moved by one person, easliy.

The 10 and 12-inch will be trickier to move around without casters, or two people.

If I had the money, my 3rd scope would be a 12-inch ES truss dob.

It makes sense to miss out the middle man and go directly for the 12-inch version.

An 8" newt is a fantastic scope, there is a reason why the 8" Dob is the best selling scope. The only downside is ther are bigger scopes.

I have a 130 newt and although it is great and has given me some great views I wish I had started bigger, but if I had started with a bigger scope I would still have wished I had started bigger. But also the bigger you go you suddenly reach a point. Point wher you hit a sweet spot and if you go bigger you start to run into other troubles weight and size. For me at the moment the biggest for ne woulg be a 10" Dob or a9.25 SCT, I'm already wondering if the 9.25. SCT would be too big and am now thinking of the 8" zzsct

But everyone has a scope most suitable to want they want personnlay. Try to go a. Viewing night to get an idea of hoe the difference in type of scopes worth for you you.

I have the 200p and initially I thought I'd have moved onto a 12 Inch scope by now but to be honest I'm not certain I ever will - perhaps in the future a 16Inch scope that will stay in the garden but I just don't see any negatives with this scope at all. Its customizable- as a Dob its easy to just get out and get going - portable- just put on the back seat of the car and your away and gives great views

I guess for me beginning a few years ago I viewed it as a starter scope but to be honest it wouldn't bother me now if it was the only scope I ever used- one other tip though try and meet up with your local observing group if possible - theres nothing like looking through other peoples scopes before you comit to a purchase to give yourself an idea of what you are buying but honestly for £300 you can' go wrong.

I've got one. Had it for 8 months. The only issues i'vs had are with the straight through finder scope, but that can be replaced later. I'm 6' so the straight through is a problem. The supplier ep's are not great but will get your started, but that's the same with most scopes.

Is short I love my 8" skywatcher bob. It will be upgraded over time, but no rush.

I think my mind is made up. I have looked at second hand but if I am honest, I don't have the time to trawl through classifieds plus actually go and collect the thing (would be nervous of courier).

The spanner in the works is the Rev model compared to Skywatcher. I like the idea of the cooling fan...

I think 8' is the way to go with the next upgrade being 12'. Otherwise if I go to 10' just now, I would need to go to 16' as noted before. Starts to get into crazy prices!!!

Mark

I think my mind is made up. I have looked at second hand but if I am honest, I don't have the time to trawl through classifieds plus actually go and collect the thing (would be nervous of courier).

The spanner in the works is the Rev model compared to Skywatcher. I like the idea of the cooling fan...

I think 8' is the way to go with the next upgrade being 12'. Otherwise if I go to 10' just now, I would need to go to 16' as noted before. Starts to get into crazy prices!!!

Mark

The 10:1 focusser would be the biggest advantage for me.

Even with the 6mm Delos on my skywatcher 8" dob, the focus can be a bit fiddly to achieve using the standard set-up.

Unfortunately the Revelation 8" model wasn't available this time last year when I got the skywatcher.

Archived