NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh the joy of sitting down while observing

Uplooker

Well last night I had first light with my 300PDS Dob. I enjoyed quite a few targets even though the moon was glowing like a floodlight. It was good to use it in anger.

What really helped or maybe even made the evening was the fact of being able to sit down while observing. It just made the whole experience so much more enjoyable, even workable.

I thought that I had catered for all heights but I was shocked quite how low I need to put the seat to view even the moon.

I admit that this is rather agricultural looking, not to mention the fact that it is not finished yet, but it was still a joy to use. It is made entirely from scrap or offcuts. It has cost me less than a tenner, that was for a brass hinge, 10mm rolled steel bar and some "R" clips. I do planned to finish it in the next couple of days by painting it and adding a proper seat bit with some padding.post-8422-141010657188_thumb.jpg

Ian

Not adding much to the thread but I have just finished building a pair of wardrobes from timer - the structural method looks surprisingly similar! To finish it off good and proper, remember to paint it BEFORE filling over the screws, or to at least fill it and then paint it before sanding the filter smooth. Valuable technique I learned from my lovely wife who really was trying to be helpful!

This is where Shane tells us he used hand cut dovetails and biscuitjoints that didn't need filler or sanding...

Nice one Ian. That almost looks sturdy enough to take my weight!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, ha, yes and certainly sturdy enough to take my weight. I had considered an "ironing" chair, but all the ones I looked at had a max weight of 100kg. That had me a bit worried ;-)

Ian

Hrm.  I could make one of those.  And I have two scaffolding boards propped up against the side of the house doing nothing.

How does the seat bit hold on in the grooves?  Could you show some more photos or sketch a plan? :-)

-simon

It works like a cantalever. There is a length of 10mm steel bar that slots into the grooves. There is block of wood, held in place by the vertical line of 3 off screws (RHS set). You lift the whole seating box up, adjust it to the desired height, put it down again and the bar sits in the slot. When you sit on the seat, you weight on the front of the seat pulls the bar tigher into the slot, thereby preventing it from slipping.

There are a multitude of plans on here and the web. These will show and explain it better than I can

Here is one such plan / post.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/92462-diy-folding-observing-chair-w-plans/

This was a trial build so that I could make sure I had general dimensions correct. I do plan on doing a "neater" build out of oak, at some point. Seems i am following where Moonshane has led :grin:

Ian

I got one of these for my viewing stool  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71325-Multi-Seat-Niveau-Silver/dp/B000VJE5SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410196444&sr=8-3&keywords=ironing+stool and the problem with it was the seat wood was actually made out of biscuit and it crumbled after only a few uses.

However my mate is an upholsterer and he changed it to sturdy 1" plyboard and its a dream to sit on now.

I did consider building my own but strange urges of " too lazy" & "not being bothered" pursuaded me to buy one instead  :rolleyes:

Oh and I only weigh in at 80kg  :grin:

steve

Yes, as I said earlier, I did consider on of the ironing chairs but as I have found out when using a Dob you need to be sat considerably lower than those chairs will go. I think they are probably grand for SCTs and fracs, but not a dob.

Ian

Can't say that I have had any problems with mine regarding the height issue you describe Ian and I have a dob!  Just sat down on the stool adjusted at the very bottom and it could give problems if it was pointed at a very low degree although it is extremely rare this occurs. 

I see you have a 150p and I am not sure where the axis is situated heightwise on your base but on my 300p its at around 27" so along with the angled focuser  for my dob the stool works pretty good. 

However i would agree it wouldn't suit all users

steve

I got one of these for my viewing stool  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71325-Multi-Seat-Niveau-Silver/dp/B000VJE5SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410196444&sr=8-3&keywords=ironing+stool and the problem with it was the seat wood was actually made out of biscuit and it crumbled after only a few uses.

However my mate is an upholsterer and he changed it to sturdy 1" plyboard and its a dream to sit on now.

I did consider building my own but strange urges of " too lazy" & "not being bothered" pursuaded me to buy one instead  :rolleyes:

Oh and I only weigh in at 80kg  :grin:

steve

I've only recently bought one of those, used it a handful of times but hope the seat doesn't crumple. I've found I spend a lot more time observing the same object now as I don't have to bend down. The heights been ok as well, even looking at the moon whilst quite low. The seat is a bit uncomfortable after a while so I must admit I wouldn't mind upgrading it if I could .

I've only recently bought one of those, used it a handful of times but hope the seat doesn't crumple. I've found I spend a lot more time observing the same object now as I don't have to bend down. The heights been ok as well, even looking at the moon whilst quite low. The seat is a bit uncomfortable after a while so I must admit I wouldn't mind upgrading it if I could .

Aye the seat is a tad on the small size, I think I will get my mate to make me a new one a little bigger and with extra padding, heheh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All ,I have always fitted my scope mounts on short tripods, and fitted to a wheeled trolley ,so that I can always sit down to the viewing. As I use a refractor this is ok, but with a reflector this may be more difficult. A screw up piano stool is very good ,to give various heights. Hope this may help someone .John.

Ha, ha, yes and certainly sturdy enough to take my weight. I had considered an "ironing" chair, but all the ones I looked at had a max weight of 100kg. That had me a bit worried ;-)

Ian

I'm over 100kg and I've been using a modified for years with no problems.  I modified it by making a new much larger seat to accommodate my generously proportioned derriere.

Because you're comfortable, you will spend far more time at the eyepiece.  I reckon an observing chair makes such a difference to visual observing that it's worth 1 to 2 inches in aperture in terms of how much more you will see. 

Yep, this would not be a fun hobby if you're not able to sit and observe comfortably.  I built 2 chairs recently, one for field use and another for my obsy.  The field chair pulls apart and packs flat for transport.

P1070553_zpsf4ed1d7a.jpg

Thanks Jules. Yes Carbon, I have followed your posts. Your efforts are certainly more refined and elegant than mine, although they do still fulfill the same purpose. I had always known people used seats/chairs but just did not appreciate the true benefit.

Ian

Archived