Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up: Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 305mm

I've read on another forum (can I mention it here mods?) that in 2012, ES showed a 16" model on the stand at NEAF.

There's a link on that other place to a wobbly Youtube video that shows the same and similar design with comments visitors were told it was at least 12 months away from being a reality.

16" huh?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here are some more comments from Meade / ES and a sniff of a 20" to come:

Meade
Dear all,
there are a few things to say about the pre production dob that was displayed at NEAF:
1) It is a pre production model. To be able to show you something some parts, including the trusses were made with a greater wall thickness, because the regular material was not available in time for the show. This is the reason for the balancing issue. We have made the prototype here in Germany, and it is very well balanced. You may also notice, that there are two sets of holes where you can attach the alt bearings. At NEAF the altitude bearings were mounted in the lower hole set - this is the position for the small eyepieces. For the combination of heavy eyepieces with coma corrector use the upper set of holes, and it is balanced again.
2) Mirror Box cover: The lid is made out of aluminium like the rest of the telescope. You may notice that it is also screwed onto the alt bearings, giving the whole structure a rigidity that would not be possible with unsupported alt bearing "ears". There is a extra feature that is not present in the displayed unit - there will be a big bucket that covers the mirror and also serves as a place to put your eyepieces during transport. This bucket also protects the mirror during the installation of the trusses and is protecting the mirror from dust.
3) Another issue that was not solved in time for the show was the bearing material. This was the reason why the dob wasn´t moving smoothly. We are still looking for a substitute for the original ebony star that we were using for the prototype.
Also:
Do you have an idea yet what the f/ratios on the 16 and 20 might be? Thanks.
Tim
Dear Tim,
16" f/4,5
20" f/4

It will be an interesting year for truss tube dobs, with both Synta/Skywatcher and Meade/ES releasing these - probably not much in it optically, but on my limited experience the Meade/ES offering could be the better of the two mechanically speaking.    The prices for the 12" ES scope look very interesting and no doubt with both products reaching market at the same time pricing will be competitive, though from a quality point of view lets hope it's not a race to the bottom.

Well I've just been rash (never been so rash in my life - normally much more considered) and placed an order.

Let's see what arrives.......  :eek:

Going by what you were asking for in your other thread I think this looks perfect for you.

Any ideas what you are going to do for a shroud?

Going by what you were asking for in your other thread I think this looks perfect for you.

Any ideas what you are going to do for a shroud?

Cheers.

Just popped up at the right time.

As for a shroud - not yet. I might see if I can get a lycra or spandex (very 70s) tube of materials made.

Well I've just been rash (never been so rash in my life - normally much more considered) and placed an order.

Let's see what arrives.......  :eek:

Congrats Tom, I may join you in a year or two - don't think it would be much of a step-up from the 10" though...

Looks very interesting, an upgrade to a 12" from my 8 is on the cards in a year or two, and at this price, weight and portability that could be a year not two. It'll be good to hear peoples' experiences.

Explore Scientific have a stand at Astrofest this year. I wonder if they will have one on show ? I , for one , will be interested in having a look.

They did have one there and it looked very interesting! 

It had a sturdy R+P focuser rather than the crayford on the spec.  (The picture on the website actually shows a R+P too.)  I particularly liked the idea of the fans across the primary although I would probably look at adding some sort of heating fo the secondary.  It felt nice and sturdy but also easy to move.

They were also talking about a 16" in the pipeline.

I love my 12" dob but it's a bit of a pain to transport.  I'm seriously considering placing an order too.

Andrew

I see there's a video of it at Astrofest up on YouTube now, looks like a very nice bit of kit.

Mel

http://youtu.be/kNpNmVsUzM4?t=2m10s

Nice video link and some very interesting info on this from ES, 35kg all up for the 16" model sounds great in comparison to the Meads 58kg.   With no chipboard in sight and a price point below the Meade Lightbridge will make it very desirable!

Saw this scope at Astrofest on Friday.  It seemed light and rigid and all Aluminum, a step in the right direction if you ask me. The guy on the stand was very enthusiastic but couldn't tell me anything about the quality of the optics.  I ask him to demonstrate how to collimate the primary.  He picked up a long metal rod and put one end of it on a nut in the corner of the mirror box about an inch from the mirror and then twisted it using a handle on the other end.  I must say this alarmed me a bit as he had to be careful doing this in daylight in order to avoid striking the mirror but in the dead of night is another matter!  When i mentioned this to him he pointed out some rubber protection on the end of the rod.  Must admit it put me off a bit.    Still, I believe lightweight Dobs with fast mirrors are a step forward.

Clem

Saw this scope at Astrofest on Friday.  It seemed light and rigid and all Aluminum, a step in the right direction if you ask me. The guy on the stand was very enthusiastic but couldn't tell me anything about the quality of the optics.  I ask him to demonstrate how to collimate the primary.  He picked up a long metal rod and put one end of it on a nut in the corner of the mirror box about an inch from the mirror and then twisted it using a handle on the other end.  I must say this alarmed me a bit as he had to be careful doing this in daylight in order to avoid striking the mirror but in the dead of night is another matter!  When i mentioned this to him he pointed out some rubber protection on the end of the rod.  Must admit it put me off a bit.    Still, I believe lightweight Dobs with fast mirrors are a step forward.

Clem

Good to hear someone has seen it.

I did see the video where the guy taps the mirror with the end of the collimation stick. Not sure I'll be doing that on purpose but collimating a big scope, in the dark, from the rear, is a nightmare any way and if it makes it possible form the front, Ill just have to take care.

Archived