NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up: Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 305mm

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering how much TS charge for delivery of this scope as they charged me a fortune to deliver a very small T adapter.

Unfortunately I couldn't get it anywhere else.

Dave

I think you can make an order to test, then just cancel the order.

My impression is that 12.99€ (depending on which delivery company you choose) is the rate to outside Germany, no matter how much/little you buy.

According to ES, they dramatically underestimated the cost of postage but they will honour it. Have to say I was surprised when placing the order, that postage was so minimal.

I'm guessing TS would also struggle at that price.

Well that sounds very amateuristic. Like they have never shipped Heavy Scopes or other Equipment before? :confused:

As you pretty much always send Heavy, big and expensive stuff with Couriers (UPS). They have standard shipping fees in weight brackets.

I really hope ES isn't shipping everything with regular mail service? :eek:  Unless you want your scope to be delivered in pieces. :confused:

Pretty much every decent online shopping site, like TS, have direct access into UPS it's systems and can so calculate correct shipping costs on checkout.

Even Teleskop-Service in Sweden (run by an old couple who sadly stopped earlier this year) had no trouble calculating correct courier fees back in 2009 when I bought my CG-5 + C8 SCT combo. /shrug

I paid 60 euro standard UPS for my NEQ6 Pro. That's pretty much the standard shipping fee for UPS on heavy shipments.

Then my statement was not correct, I've only paid 12.99 euro for all the purchases done there, small one like a couple of EPs, big one like EQ3-2 synscan together with 80ED, Alu case, some EPs, diagonal and adapters.

My guess is that each firm has their deals with different couriers, just have a look at astroshop and APM's postage rate to Germany:

http://www.astroshop.eu/shipping?country=DE&products=&complete_overview=false&add_product_quantity=1&add_product_id=Product+no.

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/content.html?coID=1

For expensive items, they earn more money, therefore they should be able to offer discount on shipping rate, just as APM's rate shown.

According to ES, they dramatically underestimated the cost of postage but they will honour it.

Good for you, Tom. They didn't when I ordered the Maxvision EPs from them. The listed cost to Sweden was 9.9Euro then, but I was charged for 12.9 Eruo for MV24mm, sent a mail to with no answer. Second purchase of MV16mm and 20mm is not very positive experience either.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/194916-explore-scientific-germany/

Don't know how TS justify their postage charges, I recently got a package four times the size of the TS one from Nevada US, postage 9 dollars.

Dave

It's UPS that set these prices. Not TS. When I ordered the NEQ6 Pro, it came in two large and Heavy boxes (about 20kg each plus a Third one (15kg) with leasure battery set and accessoiries) and paid 60 euro UPS shipping.

When I ordered my CG5-GT plus C8 SCT back in 2009 in Sweden, I paid around 500 NOK for UPS overnight delivery to Norway. Which is even higher.

So in case with UPS, they have different fees from country to country and distance to distance.

And... we are talking about European shipping rates, not US domestic shipping rates.  National shipping costs are also a lot lower than international shipping costs,

So far, I don't mind paying these fees for good quality courier service! 

Good Luck shipping expensive and sensitive Equipment via regular mail. Even if it's insured. If you like russian roulette. Be my guess.

As for the number of diffraction spikes, you'll see the normal four, as the vanes are co-linear so the spikes from each vane would be superimposed on the spikes coming from the vane opposite.

Um, no, the vanes are not co-linear (that's the whole point - much less flexible), but they are parallel (so only 4 diffraction spikes, as others have already said)

Do hurry up will you? How am I supposed to place an order if I haven't made sure it's not a dog through someones else's misfortune?

Russell

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Andrew

I was tempted by the 16" (well: 30kg - that's less than my 12").

Very tempted.

In fact, irresistibly tempted.

I received some good news about my pension so it would have been rude not to give in to temptation ...  :laugh: 

Do hurry up will you? How am I supposed to place an order if I haven't made sure it's not a dog through someones else's misfortune?

Russell

Me too, been putting of getting a big Dob for a while, this could be the one  :evil:

Dave

I was tempted by the 16" (well: 30kg - that's less than my 12").

Very tempted.

In fact, irresistibly tempted.

I received some good news about my pension so it would have been rude not to give in to temptation ...  :laugh:

Are you sure, I thoughtthe  sub 30kg is the weight for 12"

There's a 16" around 30 kg, it'll make bigger hole in your pocket though

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p43_TS-16--f-4-5-Dobson-Gitterrohr-Teleskop---GSO-Optik---Mechanik-von-MF-Dobson.html

What's the chance of you pulling a sickee? ;)

Good luck Tom - look forward to the unboxing report with lots of pictures :)

With my work load? No chance.

This week I've mostly been in Northampton, Newcastle, Sheffield and now the Rhonda.....

Just Tomorrow in the Rhonda then Slough on Friday, then I can go home......

UPS update:

Scheduled Delivery:

Thursday, 27/03/2014, By End of Day

Last Location:

Arrived - Barking, United Kingdom, Wednesday, 26/03/2014

Whats the betting, SWMBO pops out at the delivery time  !!!!!!

Looking forward to an unbxing and 1st light report....

Archived