Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up: Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 305mm

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting design  :smiley:

Nothing about the optics in the specs or description though, which is unusual. 

My 12" F/5.3 OO dob weighs 27 kg all up :smiley:

If it gets over here at that price it will get quite a lot of interest. More likely the dollar price will convert on a 1:1 basis though :rolleyes2:

Interesting design  :smiley:

Nothing about the optics in the specs or description though, which is unusual. 

My 12" F/5.3 OO dob weighs 27 kg all up :smiley:

If it gets over here at that price it will get quite a lot of interest. More likely the dollar price will convert on a 1:1 basis though :rolleyes2:

I believe you can order it direct, total 908 euros including shipping, which is only about £760 :)

Very Interesting and not expensive.  For me I'd like it more  if it was 16 inch or so as it would still fit in my car in that design probably  :evil: . The only time  I'd probably  go for that design when they get really big beyond grab and go size.  I think at 12 inches I'd still prefer the flexi for much quicker setting up and is compact enough so still fits in my car :)  Also curious to see what make optics they'll put in it. 

Who'll be the fist to take the plunge, await the first reviews and responses.  :smiley:

I think it looks very good. Lightweight, packs down quite small and much better looking Alt bearings than any other mass produced dobs and also cheap.....If the optics are half decent then it could be a winner!

Looks quite nice, but as the OP says, I reckon you would get 8 diffraction spikes off that secondary spider, looks strange and unnecessarily complex.

It also says it is aimed at planetary observation, not sure why it should be limited in this way? Spec seems fairly standard for general all round viewing?

Stu

The spider does look a little strange but there are all sorts of weird and wonderful spider veins out there and I think you'd have to presume that its been thoroughly field tested before release but we shall see. :)

Whats that small silver pole coming up from the mirror cell for? Must be collimation but cant figure out how that will work??

It needs some kind of shroud aswell not just to cover the truss poles but also the secondary cage which could be tricky. I'd also definitely put a secondary heater on there aswell as its very close to the top and come September August time that would dew up in no time.

Good to see another scope being released though and it does look like they have tried to address some of the problems that come with Skywatchers etc.

Price is very nice though, will be interesting to see how this compares with the SW truss dobs when they launch. Though think SW are looking at 16" +.

Dan's right about the nat geo colour scheme - might have to overspray the yellow bits ;)

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

A question for you Dob owners who are reading this thread; This Dob is obviously not a Goto so not even basic tracking. How do you folk get on with pushing and lifting to keep an object in the field of view?

I have never had a Dob but I keep hearing and seeing great reviews of these OTA is all their incarnations.

A question for you Dob owners who are reading this thread; This Dob is obviously not a Goto so not even basic tracking. How do you folk get on with pushing and lifting to keep an object in the field of view?

I have never had a Dob but I keep hearing and seeing great reviews of these OTA is all their incarnations.

It's fairly easy, you get used to it :).

Very interesting scope, all folds neatly into a box - I like that :). Only 29.8kg too, the 10" Skywatcher Dob is 28kg (OTA + Base)

Two boxes and the truss poles.

If the materials and engineering are correct then any Dob is easy to move about the sky but if the materials/engineering are wrong even a small Dob is very difficult to use.

If you want a really compact Dob How about this 16" one I made back in the 90's.

post-7974-0-89949000-1391172515.jpg

The wheels, handles and toolbox come off and I managed to get it onto the back seat of my saloon car ( a BMW 3 series ).

Using a metal framework I am sure that an even more compact design can be made.

Nigel

post-7974-0-14808400-1391172120.jpg

Hmm, I would have thought that the mirror and flat were included given the quoted weight of 29Kg - though it does seem very cheap at about the same price as the SW Flextube 300.     It's definitely worth an enquiry at this price, though possibly a little too cheap for quality?

It could be that the lack of optics specs means that they are extra to the quoted price.  :sad:

The specs do seem to suggest it has a mirror, F/5 with 1525mm focal length :)

Angular Resolution is apparently 0.43 arcseconds

Archived