NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M76 @ FL 2800mm

morimarty

Hi all

I thought I would post this image of M76 the little dumbell nebula in perseus. it was imaged over the 5th/6th of october in very damp atmospheric conditions,all subs were binned 2x2 through a baader Ha filter 7nm. thanks for looking!

scope - C11

camera - atik 314l setpoint -10

mount - Neq6

filters - baader Ha

Subs - 50 12mins Binned 2x2

post-11370-0-18572400-1382303973_thumb.j

Hats off - that's very impressive is that.

I know from bitter experience just how hard it is to guide at 2800mm focal length (so much so that I generally use a reducer now to get down to a challenging but more doable 2 meters) and this looks spot on.  Do you use an OAG or a guidescope?  The five hours of data has really paid off.

Shame that there are some haloes around the brighter stars - no doubt from the moisture in the air.  Doesn't detract from the wonderful nebula, though.  I wonder if you could address the haloes with a star mask or otherwise protect them when stretching?

Very well done, though.  I like this a lot.

I'd just like to say a big thanks for your comments and Likes, They are very much appreciated. @ Ian I agree it is very challenging at these focal lengths the key I think is having a very good PA.

I did a drift alignment just before I started the imaging run, I do use a celestron radial OAG mk1 and Phd guiding software. regarding the star halo's I used pixinsite for the initial stretch, HDR & Deconvolution, I did use a star mask on HDR & Deconvolution but never thought to use it while doing the stretch, I dont know if that is possible but I will certainly give it a try Thanks for the Tip!

@ Kirkster GO FOR IT.

Excellent image and great tracking - the core is quite bright and I can get a lot of signal from this at 900mm, but chasing the faint stuff around the core is well beyond my humble setup.   It does look incredibly hot and active in this shot and has a very pronounced Torex/doughnut form!  Very interesting object indeed.

Are you planning to revisit and capture some more data?

Thankyou Jannis Jake & Callum, I have actually got 120mins data on the blue channel so I'm hoping to get the R G O111 at some time in the future. @ Jake thats a nice observation of this little planetary nebula, @ Callum thats a very impressive flicker sight you have!

I keep getting drawn back to this image ! I've looked around on the net and there aren't many that have the second ring so well defined. If you're using PI then it may be an idea to have a look for tutorials on bringing out the IFN. Not the same thing but may help with the very fine and faint stuff. Then layer it on top of what you've already done and blend it in.

So many ideas and so little time :)

Dave.

Dave It's funny you should mention the IFN tool in pixinsight. I was just thinking of giving this a try. I will look up the tutorials on how to best use it. I think the O3 filter should also help bring out the IFN ? I really want to get more data on M76 maybe increase my exposures to 15-20mins as my tracking was very comfortable last time out but as we all know every night is different fingers crossed.thanks for looking and your tip!

Just to underscore what a fabulous image this is, here's my attempt (only 50 minutes worth of data, but still - a million miles away from what morimarty has achieved).  Having had a go myself I am even more in awe...

post-11821-0-87595800-1382640661_thumb.p

Blimey Ian thats a good signal you picked up for just 50mins, was this imaged at FL1960mm with the new .7x reducer and your atiks 490ex- 460ex? The outer halo filiments are clearly visible in your image. I have just received a new astro system austria .77x reducer corrector to get my FL down to FL 2156mm and to speed it up a bit. i'm just waiting to give it first light. very well done on your image!

Blimey Ian thats a good signal you picked up for just 50mins, was this imaged at FL1960mm with the new .7x reducer and your atiks 490ex- 460ex? The outer halo filiments are clearly visible in your image. I have just received a new astro system austria .77x reducer corrector to get my FL down to FL 2156mm and to speed it up a bit. i'm just waiting to give it first light. very well done on your image!

Yes this is with the Celestron reducer giving 1960mm @ f/7.  I wasn't getting great guiding and had to toss half the subs (not sure if it was the wind or something else...) but as I say it makes me appreciate your image all the more - absolutely stonking!  You have inspired me to try to get more data, though.  I did get 5 x 10 minutes subs in [OIII] too...

Archived