NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ironing Board Observing Chair

assasincz

It has been bugging me for quite some time - how to get comfortable while observing? It took me a while to realize, while I was using my 4.5" scope, that standing up is not ideal - my legs just started to hurt and I just could not concentrate. Then, I have been taking a simple plastic garden chair with me - that was much better and, with the 4.5" on an EQ2 mount and the tripod legs fully retracted, I was able to sit comfortably even while observing at the zenith and the quality of observing increased significantly.

However, when I got my Skyliner 300P earlier this month, I was pretty immediately positive that the plastic garden chair was no longer an option - the eyepiece on the beast gets just too high! So, I have been presented with a significant problem - I wanted something to sit on while observing, and being aware that there are dedicated observing chairs made by various astronomy manufacturers, I obviously yearned for one. The issue was that in Czech Republic, as far as I know, there are no supplier having observing chairs on offer - and that was a glitch.

Then, a blessing in disguise presented itself - a women. Specifically, my mother. She pointed out to me that there are some height-adjustable chairs or stools being sold for use with ironing board. This was way beyond my territory of interest. Where to get the darn thing though? As it turned out, pretty much anywhere - in furniture stores, super markets, etc. I was simply not looking around too much, so I was not aware of this.

I went to the nearest furniture discount store straight away and bought myself an ironing board "observing" chair and I am pretty chuffed about it. It'd cost me the equivalent of £18 and the seat height can vary from 56 to 72 cms (six positions) - as it turned out, pretty much ideal proportions for use with my SKyliner 300P :D The chair in question is, as far as I can tell, of no particular brand. However, it seems quite sturdy and robust thanks to its all metal construction that is capable of carrying my weight, no problem at all (and I have to admit I am quite a sizeable chap, as you can tell from the pictures). The chair itself is of course fully collapsible to ensure comfortable transportation, which is ideal for my needs.

From the attached pictures, you can not only clearly see that the chair is capable of carrying my weight without breaking :( but you can see that its adjustability is ideal for pretty much every observing position conceivable with my Skyliner 300P dobsonian as well, be it at the horizon or at the zenith.

post-27855-133877725326_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877725333_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877725338_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877725346_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877725352_thumb.jpg

post-27855-133877725359_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for that I have a SCT and is high of the ground 56 to 72 cms (six positions) looks great and at that price no hardship :-)

I wounder if they sell them here ? will look out for one

Thanks again

Congratulation on your new scope I bet the view are fabulous

i can stand for a couple a hours before the creeks start

For me, the issue is not that legs start to hurt after some time, I can cope with that; it's about being able to hold my eye steady at the eyepiece for a long time so I can concentrate - it's much easier while I am sitting on a chair rather than wobbling on my feet, shuffling around all the time :)

This one has no padding for the back rest but has 9 height positions. It's branded Vileda. They are not available very often but I got mine last year from Lidl for £13 (half price offer). It's quite sturdy even with the seat in the top position. Definitely saves backache and provides a steady platform to observe from. Well done for getting one Assasincz. They are more comfortable than they look.

5726428928_c658d34036.jpg

Ironing Stool 4 of 8 by LongJohn54, on Flickr

Wowzer! That's some detailed report on a chair....:icon_salut:

I made my own 'Denver' style chair a while ago, not difficult and I do still use it now and then. Recently, in a moment of madness I got a Smart-Seat sent over from the USA - don't ask what the cost was! Let's just say it was a 'little bit' more than these Lidl style chairs, gulp! Mid you it really is a very well made bit if kit and I can see it lasting years and years, well I hope so anyway!!

I do think this a seat is one of the best 'upgrades' to your astro set-up that anyone can make, once people realize how much more they can see just by having a good stable / comfortable seat to do it from they are just amazed!!:)

Doc

I like the fact that the only two customer reviews for this "ironing chair" are from astromoners. I think the manufacturers are missing a trick with this one!!

Let us know if its any good when it arrives Steve :icon_salut:

its actually here now Jamie - seems fine, light, sturdy and folds away well- just too cloudy to go out with scope at the moment. - I wanted one with bars at the bottom rather than feet as I expect with my weight @ 16st I would sink into the grass at a dark sky site - I think if you've got a Dob unless its a skud missile size you need a chair of some descript.

Archived