Hi from Inverclyde.....

chriso

Hi my name is Chris (36) and live in Inverclyde in the West of Scotland. I plan to be around on here for a good while as I've just bought my 1st scope and and have a 7 year old boy who is fascinated by astronomy.

The scope I opted for (after reading through some excellent advice on this forum) was a Skywatcher Explorer 130p Supatrak from Rother Valley Optics. Just a note on RVO, their advice and customer service has been second to none, willing to answer any questions I have via email or phone, I can't recommend them enough.

The scope came with 2x Barlow, 25mm wide view and 10mm. I've been thinking of also buying a 3x Barlow and a 6mm Plossl, any advice on this?

I've also got a question of setting up the scope to track objects, which I'm having trouble with, but I'll post that on another section.

Although I'm new to Astronomy, I'm very keen to learn and love reading..!!

Thanks for taking time to read this, Chris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Chris,

Welcome to SGL :icon_eek: Nice 'scope to get you both started.

This thread (Eyepieces - the very least you need) will help guide you through the ins 'n' outs of choosing EPs.

I'd be tempted not to buy anything for now, just use what came with the 'scope. With eyepiece time under your belt you'll know what needs replacing or if there's a "gap" that needs filling.

But, if anything, go for a reasonable quality (the Newt is f/5 so it'll be quite demanding of EPs) 32mm Plössl, for a nice wide field view.

Archived