NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Shropshire

MalJ

Hi, bee looking around the various forums for a while now so thought it was time I said 'Hi'. Fairly new to astronomy so still finding my way around the sky. Currently using a pair of 17 x 50 binoculars mounted on a ScopeTeknix ST50 mirror mount. I found trying to hand hold the binos a bit uncomfortable and looked around for an alternative. They mount means you can sit down in comfort and 'scan' the skys. It takes a bit of getting used to as everything is upside down/mirror imaged. A friend of mine who's been in astronomy for many years has told me how to print out mirror image star charts. My site (back garden) is very light polluted unfortunately, but I've been able to observe Jupiter and Saturn - plus the moon of course - so far. Looking to buy a telescope - so have found all the help/advice on the forums extremely helpful. One of my hobbies - which I've been in for many years is photography - so eventually would like to try some astrophotography.

Attached is a picture of the ST50 (That's if I've worked out how to attach it) :)

post-25514-133877555361_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mal and welcome to SGL, treat that mirror with care and protect as much as possible when not in use, as I did here a rumor that they will degrade if not looked after, In our bins section there is a program called TUBA which you can download, star maps for bino Astronomy which you can reconfigure to suit :)

John.

The Binocular mount is quite steady but depends on the tripod - currently using an old camera tripod. The view is quite good through the mirror. It does have to be taken care of as it is a 'front mirror' i.e. the reflecting surface is on top of the material. It comes with a good metal cover when not it use. It did take me a while to get used to - in daylight watching a plane fly past upside down is quite something!! Focusing doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Archived