Howdy

SuperMassive

Hello to all.

Another 'inspired by that bloke on the telly' person here. I got all excited on the day I got my planisphere, red LED torch - and a clear night sky - all on the same day (night)!

I never really thought you'd be able to see much with an old pair of binoculars but I was wrong. Amazing and inspiring.

Now looking for that first scope. I'm going to try and resist the temptation to buy the first shiny thing I see. :)

Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy, welcome to SGL, a really good way to start is with bins, spend some time with them and learn the night sky, download Stellarium, if you have not already, this will help you locate many objects which are visible to low power optics, read as much as you can and you will soon be ready for the next stage, a telescope. I am sure you Will have many questions before long :)

John.

...download Stellarium, if you have not already, this will help you locate many objects which are visible to low power optics...John.

Thanks for the welcome John. Yes I have already found out about the excellent Stellarium, it really brings the whole stargazing experience together for me. I can keep my interest running when those pesky clouds appear.

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

Good policy of waiting to see what's around and understanding the terminology. Can I also suggest that you locate a local astro society or observing group in order to participate in one of their public observation evenings. All the stats and reviews will have more meaning if you can establish your own bench mark "in the field" in order to interpret this vast amount of information. This will ultimately help manage your expectations in the longer term.

Clear skies

James

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL

Now can someone please tell me the secret to getting a clear, cloudless night sky - this planisphere is not much use indoors! :)

Yes, arrange to go out for the night - like I did last night - clearest night for ages and I missed it!

Archived