Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Graph of astronomer's birthdays

Blackheart

Blackheart for Knobble Prize... Not !!

Ok all

Here is the graph plotting the birthdays of astronomers from SGL.

The original hypothesis was that it might be more likely for someone to develop an interest in astronomy if their birthday fell during the darker months of the year. However, I regret to say that the results do not support this. There is a significant difference in the average number of birthdays in the lighter weeks of the year compared to the darker months but there are other factors that might account for this chief among these is the Heath Robinson nature of the survey itself!

My thanks to everyone who entered their birthday, even to those spiteful individuals who had the temerity to be born on days that did not support the theory! Grrr

Can I just say that it's not too late to send Rob_Jn a birthday card and I'm sure if we push for it, on the 22nd, Lankywolf might buy us all cakes!

For me it's time to abandon this particular theory... (unless perhaps I can tweak the parameters to tease out the underlying truth!)

Only joking...

Clear skies

BH

post-18662-133877535181_thumb.jpg

ooops, sorry i didn't respond to the call...but I know of at least 3 members, myself included who all share the 31 March...and will all be at SGL6.

:glasses1:

There's an interesting statistic, counter intuitive, about how many people in a sample of thirty are likely to share a birthday. I can't remember it though. What a great post this is!

Olly

I'm supprised theres not a greater data spike in the last 2 weeks of August and first week of September...

Merry Christmas ....

Billy...

Most of the birthdays are in the summer, which does coincide with the nights getting longer and darker in nine months before! :glasses1:

There's an interesting statistic, counter intuitive, about how many people in a sample of thirty are likely to share a birthday. I can't remember it though. What a great post this is!

Olly

Olly....The interesting statistic I can remember on this is that you only need 23 people in a room for there to be a greater than 50% chance of two of them having the same Birthday.

ooops, sorry i didn't respond to the call...but I know of at least 3 members, myself included who all share the 31 March...and will all be at SGL6.

:)

Same as mine! Although, there are 12,193 members, so there must be another 29 of us hanging around somewhere :o

Archived