NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The most Light Polluted City on Earth

Debostar

fuj2.jpg

The view above shows my street under my balcony in Fujairah, where I aspire to view the sky, whenever I buy my scope and the view below is from the balcony looking towards the sky, it is not that bad, but it is bad.

Fuj01.jpg

Give it a few more years when oil prices rocket and they will start to turn some of that off!

Shame though that it is only energy prices, and nothing else, that dictates whether authorities choose how much energy to waste upwards into the sky.

If energy prices sky-rocket then the investment in alternative lighting technology increases, so whether it's with cheap energy, or next generation super-low-energy lighting technology, the mission of every "Joe Public" is to turn night time into daytime. If some scientist found a miraculous way of bathing the dark side of the Earth with the equivalent light luminosity of a 2nd "Sun", then every local authority in the World would switch it on in an instant.

relax guys, i can still see a few stars from my balcony, and besides, my work location (about 40 klicks) is totally dark, I checked it out last night....It is near the photo I put for my avatar in the forum. The area is mountainous and there is ring of surrounding mountains that blocks any light coming from the highways. This ring of mountains also blocks the mobile phone signal...which is not bad either...

I have friends who work out in Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, one is a budding astronomer, he often remarks about the LP, however he takes a drive for an hour or two and is in the middle of a desert that has no LP at all, and if he goes even further south into an area that was only properly first explored in the 1960's, there's not a human, light or anything for hundreds upon hundreds of Km, and I envy the skies he gets!

I have friends who work out in Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, one is a budding astronomer, he often remarks about the LP, however he takes a drive for an hour or two and is in the middle of a desert that has no LP at all, and if he goes even further south into an area that was only properly first explored in the 1960's, there's not a human, light or anything for hundreds upon hundreds of Km, and I envy the skies he gets!

thats more like it, what a sight the night sky must be under such conditions :)

Archived