Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optrons helios?

scotttumsh01

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of optrons (from ebay?) before but I've heard of Helios which are quite good in general I think. I think people more in the know than me advise steering clear of firms that sell via Ebay, best to buy direct from an optical dealer or someone selling secondhand who you can visit to see the scope before you buy.

Hi and welcome !

Be wary :) - lately there have been a number of poor quality scopes on E.Bay bearing the "Helios" name - these are not a good buy !.

Here is an example:

Helios 8" Newtonian Reflector Telescope - White on eBay (end time 09-Feb-11 00:42:28 GMT)

The advert links to this web site:

Second Hand Helios Telescope

Two points to note:

- the scope is an F/4 (F/3.75 actually !) - it's difficult and expensive to make a good F/4 mirror.

- no mention of a parabolic mirror in the spec - this is essential for good performance in an F/4 newtonian.

In my opinion these typify the risks of buying on e.bay - unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Archived