Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL6 - Talks/Tutorials/Clinics

Helen

We're planning on having 2 marquees available to host talks/tutorials/clinics etc over the period Thursday - Sunday. We're planning on organising sessions for Friday and Saturday, but also having the space and equipment available for more ad hoc sessions, 1-1s etc on Thursday and Sunday.

We are planning sessions for all levels, but with a particular emphasis on the needs of beginners.

We get the feeling that SGL6 will be a first Star Party for a lot of people, and that for many this will be a great opportunity to learn a lot. We are aiming to make the sessions very hands-on, as we recognise that for many things eg image processing, collimation and polar alignment, the best way to gain confidence is by actually doing it under expert supervision!

We've got some ideas of topics - as an example MartinB is organising a team from our expert imagers (RobH, Peter Shah to name just two) to run 1-1 imaging clinics. But we'd welcome input from those of you who'll be attending.

So..... over to you....what topics would you like us to cover?

Helen

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we have reliable WIFI, I'd be happy to do one on using robotic scopes like Faulkes, and on comet image processing, and always happy to do a solar bit, hopefully with a new bigger 90mm double stacked scope by then too

On the imaging front, something that would help me assess images and decide what needs to be done rather than how to do it e.g. examples of faulty images with gradients, noise, overstretching, etc. Examples of decent images where more / different processing would bring out more detail.

In a nutshell, I don't know what to look for.

Mike

Hiya

I'm sure people would prefer practical astro talks (I know I will appreciate those!) but if you fancy something a bit different then I'd be happy to give a News Roundup of everything I've been reporting on in the world of Astronomy Now in the week or two leading up to the star party... as it happens I've just been booked to give that very talk at Kelling Heath on the Sunday 3rd, but I'm still aiming to be at SGL6 Thurs-Sat and am very much looking forward to it :-)

Emily

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming :)

Hiya

I'm sure people would prefer practical astro talks (I know I will appreciate those!) but if you fancy something a bit different then I'd be happy to give a News Roundup of everything I've been reporting on in the world of Astronomy Now in the week or two leading up to the star party... as it happens I've just been booked to give that very talk at Kelling Heath on the Sunday 3rd, but I'm still aiming to be at SGL6 Thurs-Sat and am very much looking forward to it :-)

Emily

This was well timed Emily ;) I'd just been chatting to someone and said it would be great to have a mix of sessions, from the very practical, through more technical, to maybe more theoretical/scientific. So 'yes please!' I'll be in touch a little closer to the date to discuss details/timing/preferred time slot.

Many thanks :)

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some suggestions........

Stargazing for the young beginner E.G. Where to find the planets and other objects that a beginner with say binoculars can spot.

Setting up a telescope for the beginner (you've already commented on Polar alignment that would be helpful.)

Planet imaging for kids with basic compact camera's....

How to get the most out of astronomy as a beginner......

Why not set up a scope looking in to the distance and have a set of eyepeices of different designs and focal lengths inc barlows and par cor etc so that people can get an understanding of what it is like to look through an ortho or a 100 deg FOV and what coma etc look like????

Mark

Why not set up a scope looking in to the distance and have a set of eyepeices of different designs and focal lengths inc barlows and par cor etc so that people can get an understanding of what it is like to look through an ortho or a 100 deg FOV and what coma etc look like????

Mark

Taking this idea further you could do it for imaging with a digital camera, CCD and PC to show what can be done....

If we have reliable WIFI, I'd be happy to do one on using robotic scopes like Faulkes, and on comet image processing, and always happy to do a solar bit, hopefully with a new bigger 90mm double stacked scope by then too

Nick,

You can explain how to connect my kit together if you like. That would be good :)

Best regards

Chris

Chris, can do better than that mate, will set it all up for you and we'll do some imaging. I am not bringing much for night time (mainly solar kit) as will be helping a few people with new kit and also fingers crossed reviewing some new bits as well, so will be glad to help!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that, will be good to do something with the camera if, sorry when we get clear skies over the weekend!!!

Managed to get the tracking scope sorted over the weekend so will attempt to have a go first time I get free.

Best regards

Chris

Taking this idea further you could do it for imaging with a digital camera, CCD and PC to show what can be done....

You'll see plenty of this as you wander round the camp. There will be a good mix of "basic" imaging up to "blimey, where did all those cables come from???" :):o

Steve L and I have been chatting, and I have Faulkes North and South control for 1 hour on the Friday, so will happily (weather permitting) do a demo on that, show data reduction/FITS/Archive server, talk about some of the projects, give an overview of FT and explain what they are doing to open up more scopes to more people soon!

Steve L and I have been chatting......

Steady Nick, that could be bad for your health :)

All that aside I would like a lesson on the meaning of everything you have said please!

Regards

Chris

With only 3 weeks to go folks I need to start the timetabling...So here's what has been proposed so far:

Astro News Update

- What are the latest happenings?

Beginners sessions/clinics

- Navigating the sky - including using finders, star hopping etc

- Hands on session (in daylight) to allow compaison of the different types of scopes and eyepieces

- How to set up and use a telescope

- How to polar align an equatorial telescope (more detailed session also to be run for imagers who need greater accuracy)

- Stargazing for a young (and maybe older too!) beginner

- How to get the most out the hobby - particularly at the start

- Taking basic astro snaps of the moon and planets - particularly for kids

- Comparing imaging set ups - point-and-shoot, webcam, DSLR, CCD

- Practical collimation

- The Twilight hours - preparing for a session

More Advanced

- Using Robotic scopes, and processing the results (including live demo using the Faulkes scope)

- Assessing the quality of your images and determining what processing tools to use to improve them

- Automation - EDMOD, CCD commander etc

- one-to-one clinics using your own data

Any more suggestions and comments on the above are very welcome :(

Thanks

Helen

If anyone turns up with a new DSLR or point and shoot and want someone to guide them through the various modes available to them for daylight photography and sort out what all the buttons do. Just find me, I've the patience of a saint and no question is a stupid question :(

It looks like the tutorials and presentations cover pretty much everything I want so thank you :)

If anyone turns up with a new DSLR or point and shoot and want someone to guide them through the various modes available to them for daylight photography and sort out what all the buttons do. Just find me, I've the patience of a saint and no question is a stupid question :(

It looks like the tutorials and presentations cover pretty much everything I want so thank you :)

I think i might have to take you up on that kind offer i bought a 1000d 8 months ago and only used it twice, would be great to know what all the settings do :D

Archived