Hello from Aberdeenshire

airprox

Hello folks!

Just a quick post to say Hi! Have been reading the forum for a while, but only just signed up.

My Name is Alun, and I've been "into" astronomy since I was a kid, but it was only as I grew older that I had the money to actually buy a scope. So after a long hiatus I bought my first scope, a 6" Newt (Helios short tube variety) which served it's purpose quite well, I then added a ST80 to the mix to view the transit of Venus from work... it was cloudy :-(

I still have the ST80 (slightly modded) and have added a ST120 on a CG5 mount. Now, I have to add, I'm one of the worlds tinkerers (sp?) and have built a wooden tripod for the mount out of an old hardwood step, and also "Roboscoped" the mount to provide GoTo function. Some of my tweaks work better than others (the Goto works, but not sure about the tracking).

I have dabbled with imaging (I have one of Astronomisers SC3 cameras...) but can't say I've been that sucessful... to be honest, I find myself going back to visual observing and star hopping most of the time!

Anywho... next on the list is a wooden pier (yes, wooden... I know that concrete would be better, however, wooden is as far as I can go just now, and should serve my needs), and I've just ordered one of them cheap webcams that you folks are getting excited about to try a bit of planetry imaging (thought it would re-teach me the basics before re visiting the SC3).

Oh yeah... the good side of 40, married, and a daughter whos nearly 2.

Cheers

Alun

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Alun.

Just wondering why you have a wooden tripod if you have a CG5 mount which comes with a sturdy tripod. I have an SC3 but not had any success out of it for imaging (but mine might be faulty), so I relegated it to a guide camera.

Have fun with the new webcam and look forward to seeing your images posted here.

Carole

Hi Carole,

Mine was the old CG5 with the square aluminium tripod... as I say, I'm a tinkerer, and thought I'd give it a go, it was waste wood so nothing lost. As it turned out, the wood tripod is much better at dampening vibrations and more solid over all. It looks rather nice too! I would suspect though that the newer CG5 with the round tubular tripod would probably be better than my wood one.

Funny enough, not sure if there is a fault with my SC3 too... mind you, it could be PEBKAC in my case (Probelm Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

Cheers

Alun

Wow... quite some welcome, thanks all!

Hi Andrew*, I'm out the otherside, in Balmedie. How's the light polution with you? Here didn't used to be too bad, but there's been quite a bit of building work since we first moved here, and it's gone downhill somewhat. I imagine Bridge of Dee is fairly bad.

Cheers

Alun

Hi Andrew*, I'm out the otherside, in Balmedie. How's the light polution with you? Here didn't used to be too bad, but there's been quite a bit of building work since we first moved here, and it's gone downhill somewhat. I imagine Bridge of Dee is fairly bad.

Hi Alan,

Not too bad here. I'm out of the city a bit, so to the south it's alright. Towards the city's just an orange glow.

Andrew

Archived