NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from the East Midlands

AwayWithTheStars

Hellooo,

Have been perusing this forum for a while now and finally decided to register :)

Saw my first Perseids Meteor Shower in 2009 and thought it was truly awesome to watch. So I decided to try to watch all the Showers throughout 2010.

From that my interest has grown has grown, and I am now at the stage where I am considering what to buy as my first telescope.

I dont have a huge budget.. about £150..so...really dont know what would work for that price.

What i would like ideally from the scope, is to be able to look at the planets in better detail, would quite like to see Jupiter's moons. And also have a good view of ths stars. A good overall beginners scope really.

Something fairly portable, so i can take it out with me easily.

With such a wealth of information out there.. I am a little bit brainfrazzled:confused: and so I am hoping to learn and get advice in Stargazers Lounge.

Am also hoping to find out about local groups and events and meet like minded peeps :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

We have the East Midland Stargazers group on here.

Look in the Community/Social Groups area and search for East Midlands.

There are also several local clubs ind Nottingham Derby and Leicester.

Dave...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would like to reinforce Dave's suggestion above of contacting local astro clubs or even observation groups (they aren't always the same) to see when they are running their public observation sessions which would be invaluable for you in building up some experience of what you might see with different scopes. It's also a little bit more exciting than continuously reading a lot of specifications about this scope or that if at the end of the day, you might not understand the difference it makes between using 6" as opposed to 8" of aperture.:(

Please keep asking questions and we'll soon have you up and running!:)

Clear skies

James

Wow, Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys :hippy2:Great advice already, much appreciated.

Ewok, thankyou very much, have just been checking them out, Was looking at the Skywatcher 130p Flextube with dob mount. Query i have about dobsonian mounts is how well do they "sit"?

As the ground where i stargaze can be all sorts of perhaps rocky or uneven surfaces, i just wondered how stable they actually are?

Dave S, Thanks for pointing me in that direction, great to find out about local groups, just what i have been looking for :)

todd8137 Thanks for the tip on First light optics

Am thinking that i dont need to rush out and buy, am quite happy to take my time to figure out whats best for me and have fun in the joy of learning:confused2: lol

Think i need to get in front of some scopes and learn what works in different situations and why.

See ideally i want something that will give me an overall good view of planets and stars, but be ultra portable and not really heavy and not huge (dont want much lol) so i can take it away with me when i go camping. May be asking too much with limited budget?

Archived