Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello From Bradford

Bone_Idle

Hello all, I am very glad I found this forum, it's amazing what new horizons a Google search can reveal. All I entered was " what is the best Telescope for £300", which led to someone on Yahoo answers recommending a Skyliner 200p, which led to me searching for the 'scope, and opinions which led here!:)

I've read a few threads and I have come to some conclusions and think I know where I'm going to start with my foray into astronomy.

I'll probably seek advice on the beginners help forum, but I am pretty certain I'm going to go in at a low budget Dobsonian, probaly the Skywatcher Heritage 130p. Initially I considered the 200p I initially saw recommended, but the no flex ones are big beasts and I like the idea of something I can take camping, where you're generally in the middle of nowhere and light pollution is far less. The 130p is very compact and the reviews seem good.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Bone_Idle & welcome.

I too am from Bradford, Eccleshill in fact, I'm gathering that you are from Idle ?!

I too have just started out and have been In touch with the Bradford astronomy association to attend their meetings. £300 quid is a decent amount, one thing though don't go to the Bradford camera exchange, way too expensive.

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

I lived in Idle for years, but have gone "up market" and now live in Thackley!!

The more I think of my requirements, the more the 130p seems to tick the boxes.

If I find I'm yearning for more quality, then I think I already have an upgrade path in mind. Maybe a 8" or even a 10" Dobsonian.

I've got a 130 and its great. I didn't want to go OTT to start off with. Also I have a caravan in the dales that I visit all year round ( appart from winter ), so I wanted to something portable. Like you say you can always expand later on in life.

Thackley is very nice, better than Eccelshill. Used to go to the Great Northern quite a bit.

Hello all, thanks for the warm welcome.

Ewok, I'm a short walk for the "Northern", however, I tend to go to the Commercial more. How do you find the light round the area? There tends to be a constant glow of street lights?

Nightfisher - I was originally from Huddersfield, live in Dalton and the Bradley.

HI Bone_Idle & welcome.

I too am from Bradford, Eccleshill in fact, I'm gathering that you are from Idle ?!

I too have just started out and have been In touch with the Bradford astronomy association to attend their meetings. £300 quid is a decent amount, one thing though don't go to the Bradford camera exchange, way too expensive.

Welcome to the forum Bon_Idle.

I'm quoting Ewok because you both live a bus ride away from me! I'm in West Leeds (Bramley, to be precise).

What a small world we live in!

Archived