NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dazed and confused

starstuck

hi.... been exploring this fantastic site for a couple of days, started off wanting cheap telescope to look at solar system, now head is spinning! Im interested in observing and astrophotography but father xmas has pillaged my credit card so will be buying gear one step at a time as i save up over the next year. (unless i come across a serious bargain).

I have a canon 40d with 18-55is lens and tripod so i intend to use this for still shots to familiarize myself with the heavens above (with the help of a few star charts and books). at the moment i am pondering over a few things? if astrophotograhy is where i am headed would i be better off following the astrotrac route? and possibly buying a refllector for observation. ie keeping these two fields of astronomy seperate. their seems to be a myriad of combinations. the evostar 80 ed ds pro seems to be popular for imaging and the list of quality Beginner reflectors is huge , is the heq 5 synscan good enough for imaging and observation, what about syntrek? i know these questions only breed more questions ... I am looking at spending 200 - 400 quid(ish) at a time and building up my kit as i go along! this is where i am at after a couple of days of research....dazed and confused!!! any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!:)

The Astrotrac and as good (and fast) a 50mm Canon lens you can afford should keep you going for a fair while, I should think. Bigger equatorials make sense if you have 300-400mm focal length optics and over. Once the latest Skywatcher EQ8 makes its debut this year, expect to see more used EQ6 on the market driving down prices.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I do empathise with your plight and know the feeling in which the more answers you find, the more questions you ask.:) Your introduction stated that 'if' astrophotography was where you were heading. On the budget that you have available I would sit on that question for a moment. Can I first recommend getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photo Count" (FLO £19.95) which will give you all the information you need to get started but it will also show you where you might be heading, because the only black hole you might be imaging is the one in your wallet.:):D

You might prefer to post over on the imaging section questions about individual pieces of kit to see what users already think and what else you might need to get - there are always extra toys that make life simpler. I'm not sure that too many EQ6's will be coming onto the market in sufficient numbers to make them affordable. One lesson I have learnt on here is that is if its any good people tend to hang onto their kit and only release when personal circumstances dictate. However, when you attain 50 posts and 1 month's active membership, you will be allowed to access the forum's own classified section where some bargains can be had and where at least you know that the items for sale have been well looked after.

Observing and imaging scopes are not necessarily the same beasts, with the later usually demanding a higher price because of the technical specifics placed upon them. If it were me, I would leave the imaging to your camera and tripod until you've done some reading up and you have built your post numbers up. You will then be better placed both from a knowledge base and from a budgetary position to set yourself up at the right level that suits you. Observational, the best value scope you could buy would be a dobsonian as all the money goes into the mirror which is where the real action takes place. No good paying for GOTO if you can't see what the mount is pointing at. BUT will you need to visit a dark site? Is your means of transport able to carry on the gear? Dobs are great but the larger ones are a little cumbersome, aren't imaging friendly and the lack of motors will mean that you have to keep moving the scope to keep an image in the eyepiece, of course made worse if the aperture of the tube is small.

One last suggestion if I may, why not track down a local astro club/observation group to attend one of their observational evenings to see what the sky looks like through some of the kit out there. That will at least give you an idea of what aperture will best meet your expectations.

Clear skies

James

Hi Starstuck, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, if you are handy with tools and have a yearning to DIY, you could have a look at the Barn Door tracker for a camera, the basic one is quite simple and costs little to make, the more advanced will track for better than an hour. sorry I can`t point you in the right direction, I lost the details when my comp went down some time ago.

john.

Archived