Hi and thank you from Oxford :-)

OxfordPaul

Hi All!

I took the plunge and bought my first scope last week (second hand Skywatcher 250px dob) It has a few minor dents but came with some extra eyepieces (Baader Hyperion 13mm, Burgess 6mm plossl and a PanaView 32mm) and the guy had upgraded the focuser :-)

I have to say i am absolutely made up!! I managed to get a great view of theJupitor which had me beaming from ear to ear! And the clarity on the moon was fantastic! Since then it has been cloudy :) today i had a play with collimation, which seemed to go ok, just did the secondary as best i could, will have a look at the primary in the week.

Just wanted to say hi, and thank you for all the people that have written some damn good advise on here.

Astro-baby's website proved very useful so a thank you to her, and the astronomy shed guy that has done some fantastic youtube videos needs a big thank you too.

oh.... i am in a pretty dark sky location however there is a street light about 20 metres away :-( Will a filter help this? Would a dew shield double up and stop stray light getting in helping my views?

Cheers,

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum

Looks like you're off to a cracking start - congratulations! I wouldn't worry about the dents it what's you see inside the tube that counts - and it will save you putting your own dents in too :):D

Good eyepieces as well and something to prevent stray light too is a good idea. Later on, you might want to think about 'flocking' (careful how I spell that:D) or blackening the inside of the tube in order to 'maintain' contrast which all goes to improving the observed image, not by much but every little bit helps.

I think I shall come shopping with you next time!

Clear skies

James

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum

Looks like you're off to a cracking start - congratulations! I wouldn't worry about the dents it what's you see inside the tube that counts - and it will save you putting your own dents in too :):D

Good eyepieces as well and something to prevent stray light too is a good idea. Later on, you might want to think about 'flocking' (careful how I spell that:D) or blackening the inside of the tube in order to 'maintain' contrast which all goes to improving the observed image, not by much but every little bit helps.

I think I shall come shopping with you next time!

Clear skies

James

Hi James, Thanks, yeah i'm not worried about the dents. The inside is painted black already, i assume he has done that? i was too excited to notice when i bought it. It's a matt finish so i guess i don't need to do a thing :)

Yeah got it all at a very reasonable price!

Archived