Newbie From Tewkesbury

Dwarfie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to astronomy, my girlfriend brought a newtonian 76mm telescope for my 40th the other day. I managed to set it up last night and took it outside at about 1 in the morning to look at the moon - Well, I was totally amazed at what I saw!!! I used the 20mm lens and then took a picture with a cheap samsung digital camera.

I have seen hacks on youtube for using webcams for viewing through a laptop - does this really work or am I better off spending my money on a proper camera? any advise would be a help as this is all new to me... cant believe I didn't get into this years ago...

I now have a hobby!!!

Dwarfie. :D

post-23971-133877521833_thumb.jpg

Hi Dwarfie and welcome to the forum.

If you need advice on specific kit regarding imaging, then a you'll need to ask the imaging guys on the their equipment section what they would recommend. In short, video frames can be taken of the Moon and planets, which are stacked on top of each other using a program called 'registax' using only the best frames to produce a composite image. Imaging deep sky objects like galaxies, nebula etc will require at least a very good motorised mount, that is capable of tracking these faint objects for long periods in order to collect sufficient faint data to construct an image.

Of course the more resolution you can capture the more detailed the final picture. Astrophotography can be a bit of fun but the desire to produce quality images will soon surface and for that you need sufficient funds. Steve Richards (Steppenwolf) had written a very good book, "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which I would suggest you get if astrophotography is your goal, it will give you a precise overview and might n fact save you money in the process.

Clear skies

James

Hi Michael, Yes my new friend not too far from you... I live in the town centre so light pollution is a [removed word]! but I braved the freezing cold last night to take my first look at the moon.. wow is all I can say! I think I'm gonna get hooked on this...:D

Archived