Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello From Leicestershire

spitfire12

HI all

I'm new to this forum and hobby!

i spent a bit of time looking at the sky through some 30x50 bins last year until the strap snapped and buggered them! So my dad secretly bought me a scope for xmas its only a cheap jessops 800-80 reflector but ive already had a nice look at the moon through it :)

so thats me! :eek:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers :eek:

im wondering if anyone has had any experiance with this scope before?

im finding the actual scope to be good quality (from a novice POV) however ive had a lot of issues with the red dot finder, the red dot is virtually invisible and thus its very difficult to aim!

im considering investing in another finderscope for it but im not sure how the whole bracket system works, ive heard you can stick them on with sticky pads, decent double sided tape or even velcro pads.

Hi Spotfire and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest getting hold of some binos, they do help you locate the smaller objects. I have been reading up on your scope and some of the reviews that are out there. It would seem that the red dot finder is a bit of a disappointment with many who claim that the fine adjustment that enables you to align it with the the scope is too fiddly and so next to useless. However, the 'proper' red dot finders are very useful indeed because just using an eyepiece will yield an image that is upside down AND back to front! The red dot type of finder allows you to point the scope in a direction that maintains one eye on the night's sky which you find mirrored in star maps. Having said that, observing where there is a lot of light pollution can make visually locating smaller targets a bit tricky.

Getting hold of a better finder will certainly help you improve your observations.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Thanks all for the warm welcome :eek:

fortunately i live about 20 mins drive from the middle of nowhere and you can even see the milky way there on a good night so light pollution shouldn't be too much of a problem. ive got an old pair of bins but there not very good, im awaiting a good lidl or aldi deal to pop up so i can get something similar to my old ones for cheap ;)

yes the reviews are absoloutley correct about the red dot, its plasticy flimsy and very dim! could anyone reccomend a better red dot that would fit my scope?

the current red dot uses a dovetail like rail mount but it looks as though this can be removed as its held in with 4 screws.

really appreciate the advice and welcomes :)

Archived