Hi from Germany

Steve NRW

Hi Folks,

I got a new telescope for Christmas (SW 200P Dob):(. Ahem - it was a present from me to me:hello2:. Always had a glance upwards on dark clear nights, but - inspired by the really dark nights we get where we live - I finally managed to persuade my wife of the benefits to the three kids of this type of hobby;).

The advice I gleaned from SL whilst lurking was really useful, so thanks everyone who has unwittingly helped! I also avoided the cloudy night curse and managed to spend half an hour looking at Jupiter the day it arrived (28th), despite light cloud, heavy snow and the fact it is around minus 10 overnight at the moment here on the North Rhine Westphalia/Lower Saxony border - even the moons were pretty clear.

The bad news around this neck of the woods is that it really can get cold, but the good news is that it really is dark:D.

Anyway, I've got some equipment questions and having introduced myself I'll be posting on the equipment question forums!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Steve, Good choice of scope. Did 15 years in Germany so know what you mean when you say cold. The weather we been having reminded me of those happy days. There are some good tips here on how to mod your Dob with setting circles. Just done mine and makes a big differance on finding DSO.

Archived