Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Newcomer!

Jimmy Stix

Hello Folks!

43 year old Sheffielder here who has recently become obsessed with the night sky and "what's out there?".

I have taught myself quite a bit in the last four months or so with the help of a planisphere and binoculars (which I already had as I have been a keen birdwatcher for the last 30+ years).

I bided my time and read lots of reviews before finally deciding (with permission from my good lady of course) on a Skywatcher Skymax-127 with Synscan.

I bought it just a week before Christmas and it sat staring at me for a 7 days. God knows how I resisted the temptation to open it before the 25th, but I did. I wanted to try and capture some of that childhood magic of years ago.

What did I do though? Got caught up during the day with family celebrations and games so it was late afternoon before I took myself off to try and set myself up for maybe just a little observing. The skies were clear too! Well as you can imagine it was dark now and I was trying to set up the finderscope and align the Synscan from the hazy instructions that came with the scope. No chance!

Anyway I have not tried since (cloudy skies and the onset of "man flu") but I feel I may have many questions for you guys out there before I am fully up to speed with my new "toy". I will post them in the appropriate section though and hope you can help.

So glad I found this forum and I am looking forward to spending many hours in here as well as "out there".

Cheers.

Jimmy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Jimmy, think you might be onto something with the "get new kit and don't open it immediately when it arrives". I think it's the first time I've heard someone on here have a clear sky after opening up new toys :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum, I have ordered the Celestron version of your telescope (nexstar 127SLT) but have to wait till the New Year for it to arrive. Like you I will probably stare at it with trepidation till I get used to it. I will probably try to align the finderscope to the main during daylight though.

I will probably try to align the finderscope to the main during daylight though.

Yeah it was kinda silly to try it for the first time, in the dark with my first scope but having waited a week to get going I was hopeful of at least seeing something.

Thanks to you all for the nice welcome messages ! :(

Archived