NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From Belper

Dave S

Hi All

My Name is Dave and as you can guess from the tile I live in Belper, Derbyshire.

I'm definitely not new to astronomy as I picked up the bug as a wee mite back in the seventies. I've recently got back into it all and as a result I've refreshed my kit with new toys but so far the the new telescope syndrome of rubbish skies has lasted way beyond the statutory week (5 so far) and I'm starting to get a bit tetchy :). My main love has always been astrophotography and the modern kit you can get now far exceeds what I've always had to work with in the past :D so I'm doubly frustrated with the weather at the moment.

I'm sure things will improve.

Cheers

Dave...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiya Dave, good to have you here :D

I know what you mean about the weather, but good things come to those that wait... hopefully ;)

Thats what I keep telling myself :)

If I say it enough times I might start to believe it.

Dave...

Me too :). Not had a good night in Huddersfield for what seems like months. I've even got up at 5am a couple of time hoping to see Saturn, but no such luck. Lately, the clear looking skies have been deceptively poor.

The few clears skies I've had have thrown up another problem. I don't suffer too much from light pollution but the snow on the ground has been throwing sodium light upwards and the ice crystals in the air have scattered this to give nasty orange images. Lets see if this is a problem now the snow has gone.

Dave...

Hi Dave and welcome to forum. A shame about the weather but clearly some things never change. Having said that, the choice of gear and the prices since you were last engaged with astrobomy clearly have so I suppose we have to take the rough with the smooth.

Wishing you clearer skies soon.

James

Hi all

Thanks for the welcome.

James (JBM1165) is quite correct. Prices compared to days gone by are so low in relation to the value of money then to now that we can compete with the pro's right up the scale. One objective of mine now is to do some serious spectography, which is something i would never have dreamed of attempting then. But as he says we have to take the rough with the smooth. during the summer we had some real smooth but we're paying for it now.

Ah well, patience is a virtue they say.

Dave...

Archived