Has anyone seen Father Christmas?

pilgrim

:)

Hello friendly bunch,

Certainly glad to find you (thanks to Martin at FLO for pointing).

With two young sons (8 and 9) waiting for Father Christmas to magic up a new telescope for Christmas morning, (and with so much choice) he needs to make his mind up pronto!

He's even replied to their letters indicating that he'll try to find a telescope in his workshop, and suggesting that they might be able to see him going home on Christmas night.

And who's to say they won't? - They were looking at faint stars through an dreadful pair of 10x50s about 2 weeks ago, and, (after correcting my suggestion that they were looking at a stars), informed my wife and I with infinite patience it was actually a planet they were looking at and that they could see Princess Cheleica as well (no we'd never heard of her either).

Anyways... thanks in advance, - I've found more answers to my numerous questions and worries on here in 24 hours than I would have thought possible, and I understand now that Father Christmas is narrowing the choice down even as I type. I am confident it will be a GOTO though, as the chance of me confidently finding my way around the heavens by star hopping anytime soon is about the same as the chance of me growing another eyeball (you never know).

And in case anyone is worried (as we were), that there was a risk that it might not be a very thrilling solitary present on Christmas morning for two small boys, fear not... it was only one (joint) present on their long wish lists!! - I think they see Christmas as a time to stock-up........

Best Wishes to all,

pilgrim

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum, Pilgrim

You do realize that the initial telescope is just the beginning, don't you? Soon it will be eyepieces, dewshields and all sorts of odds and ends. And if they decide they want to turn to the darkside (astrophotography) ...

Seriously, it sounds as if this is a present that they will use and so the wonders of the universe are about to open up.

Hi Pilgrim,

A very warm welcome to SGL, two Sons and one scope hmnnn.. if your present bins are very poor, FLO has on offer at the moment 15x70 Celestrons which are excellent, with even a makeshift tripod they would be a worthwhile addition to the observing kit, for you all to use, extra hole in the Christmas pocket though, enjoy the forum.

John.

Many thanks to everyone for a very warm welcome,

I'd forgotten about NORAD, I'll get them on that. I'll also be looking at FLO for the 15 x 70s. I'm wearing odd socks already, so I don't suppose a bargain pair of binoculars will make much difference now!

Best Wishes

ian

Hi Pilgrim

In reply to your post, GoTo's are great fun but NOTHING is better than star hopping and finding something for the first time by yourself. Trust me LOL

It's like using the internet and GPS to find an interesting place to visit, as opposed to hearing people telling you stories about it and then stumbling upon it by accident because you got lost on your way somewhere else! :)

Archived