Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright Flare 5.35pm

Lowstar

Yes, between Gemini and the Plough.

I am not sure if this came from an active shower or not, if it were say a Geminid it would have travelled from the location of Gemini which is currently low in the East. At the time of the event Gemini was just breaking above the Horizon, and when the radiant of meteor shower is low or below the horizon there is a greater chance of a slow, low angled meteor which I think this Might've been. I just need to know which direction this was travelling in, if it was NE going to SW or thereabouts, the chances are it was Geminid.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now tracing back the path of the meteor that I saw AFTER the main one and extending the trail back from where it came, it seems to have originated near to the Geminid radiant near the star Castor. So it looks like I have seen a Geminid and that the main meteor was most likely also a Geminid.

I saw it! By chance I was coming out of the garage and looking up to the NE. There was a bright trail travelling apparently from E to NW in the NE. It appeared to be breaking up with orange and white streaks, with several lumps. It was quite unlike a meteorite trail and looked more like a fireball or something large re-entering the atmosphere. I went for my camera, but no replay!

Would you believe, I was sitting in my obs preparing for the evening ahead, my lad came out with a coffee and said "WHOAAA! Just seen a really bright shooting star!"

I was like "yeah yeah, whatever....", as he is prone to exaggeration, and next thing there it is on the bbc news :)

Bits of that Russian satellite??? :D;)

From near Chester i was lucky enough to be looking directly at it when it happened (freezing my nuts off at a bus stop on a country road), lols

from where i was i saw it in the north east moving east to west.

Was quite awsome i might add, though only lasted a few seconds.

I saw something similar to that described, but tonight, about 60-90 minutes ago. I was driving, so couldn't give it my full attention and would have forgotten about it were it not for this thread. This would have been travelling approximately west to east.

Or was I imagining it?

Saw something similar too. Round about 5.40pm...I was watching Jupiter and thought id seen a "shooting star", but it kept going, and going, and going....In a Downward direction...

Same here. I didn't see any bits fly off, I just thought wow the seeing must be amazing tonight, that is the best shooting star with the longest trail I have ever seen.

Archived