Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright Flare 5.35pm

Lowstar

Anyone see a bright flare in the sky around 5.35pm tonight? Seemed to be west from my location here in N.I. It didn`t seem to streak across the sky, just get really bright and then "fall off" :) Lots of low cloud here tonight so was lucky to see it inbetween the gaps.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you can see from post count I`m new to the forum. I have been searching the web to see if anyone else saw it. I`m based in Birmingham, West Mids. Looked like a cball of fire here, had a tail and was shifting at a fair pace. I assumed it was a comet hence the internet search but can`t find anything else.

Was starting to think I`d imagined it!!!:)

As you can see from post count I`m new to the forum. I have been searching the web to see if anyone else saw it. I`m based in Birmingham, West Mids. Looked like a cball of fire here, had a tail and was shifting at a fair pace. I assumed it was a comet hence the internet search but can`t find anything else.

Was starting to think I`d imagined it!!!:)

That's what I saw between 5:35 and 6 east midlands

I have been posting on another topic about a similar event.

At approx 5.45 tonight (could be earlier) I saw a bright fireball streaking across the sky from east to west and about 70 deg dec,I estimate it to be about mag -5 as it reached directly over head it split into several orange pieces ,and also left a trail for a few seconds.

Ian

Ha, Ha, Hypernova I`m completely useless as I`n not a stargazer I`m afraid, more curious.

It was definitely heading west, that much I can tell you:D Seemed to be quite low in the sky, my first thought was firework but it was the wrong shape and speed. Other than that, I`m not going to be of much use, sorry:o

I did see a fainter meteor after the time of this event, circa 17:59. It was travelling from the Sadr region of Cygnus towards central Aquila which is approximately moving SW , I presumed this was simply a sporadic as I can't find any active showers with a radiant matching this meteor.

So for the thickie in the corner here:o am i to assume from your post Hypernova, that you think it was a random meteor? I`m going to have a proper nosey round the forum now as I`m rather intrigued.

I guess I never really thought much about the sky before, I mean, obviously it`s there and there`re stars & planets but.....:)

I am not sure if this came from an active shower or not, if it were say a Geminid it would have travelled from the location of Gemini which is currently low in the East. At the time of the event Gemini was just breaking above the Horizon, and when the radiant of meteor shower is low or below the horizon there is a greater chance of a slow, low angled meteor which I think this Might've been. I just need to know which direction this was travelling in, if it was NE going to SW or thereabouts, the chances are it was Geminid.

Iridium flares are communication satellites. When their solar panels catch the sunlight and depending on what angle you're looking from, it produces a flash of varying lengths (usually very short).

But the reports are indicating something else around the same time. :)

Iridium flares are communication satellites. When their solar panels catch the sunlight and depending on what angle you're looking from, it produces a flash of varying lengths (usually very short).

But the reports are indicating something else around the same time. :)

Ooooh, sounds interesting, I`ll shuffle off shortly and leave you all to it, thanks for being patient with me:)

I am not sure if this came from an active shower or not, if it were say a Geminid it would have travelled from the location of Gemini which is currently low in the East. At the time of the event Gemini was just breaking above the Horizon, and when the radiant of meteor shower is low or below the horizon there is a greater chance of a slow, low angled meteor which I think this Might've been. I just need to know which direction this was travelling in, if it was NE going to SW or thereabouts, the chances are it was Geminid.

Yes pretty much that direction

I have just seen it mentioned in the breaking news banner that scrolls along on BBC news, no picture as of yet though. A bit of cctv footage like what was captured last year in the western USA would be nice, it's as close a I'll get to seeing the real thing since I missed this one.

I saw this. Don't know the exact time, around 5.40pm. Was walking home with my daughter from her school disco. It was the biggest, brightest meteor I've ever seen. It was absolutely amazing, it was just missing the sound effects. I was at 53 degs 2'21.16" N and 2 degs 10'24.32" W at the time and it streaked across quite low in the the crystal clear sky, I'd say about 25 degs up from the horizon, just above the roof tops, travelling North West West and it appeared just right of The Plough. FANTASTIC!

Archived