Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead and Flame Mosaic

Helen

This is a collaborative project! The data was gathered at Les Granges, France, last week, using Olly's equipment. I was involved in the decision on target, framing etc, but most of the hard work (particularly staying up to see it through to completion) was done by Olly. I have however done all the processing myself - but based on the tuition, help and advice I got from Olly last week too. So thanks Olly :D

The details are: 2-pane mosaic, taken over 3 nights (2 for the horsehead and one for the Flame), in Ha (due to almost full moon), using the Atik 4000 mono, the TEC140 on the Tak EM200mount. Flame 23 subs, HH 33 subs all at 10 min each, so over 8 hours of data.

The stacking was in Astroart, mosaic composition in Maxim and the final processing (which I may have overdone!) was in CS2. I've learnt an awful lot in the process ;). (But I really need to learn when to stop I think!)

The file has had to be compressed to load up, so I'll get a full version on my website tomorrow.

And thanks again Olly :D

Helen

post-13020-133877507905_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter who is responsible, for me I think this is a great picture. I'm only an observer and I always prefer pictures that are devoid of colour as it reminds me of what I normally can see but the detail you have captured is so crisp and stunning.

Many thanks

James

Wow, that is superb work Helen. I only baby sat the cameras so your credit to me is far too generous.

You have set the grey point higher than I have done in mine and given a sense of just how suffused with gas this area really is.

Great job on Alnitak, too!

And you opted for Maxim for the mosaic? I tried ICE and quite liked it but I felt it lost contrast somehow.

I will try to get more data for this and get it off to you, maybe going a bit higher to finish off the 'curtains.'

Well done anyway.

Olly

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone. I am really pleased with how this has turned out - it demonstrates clearly to me how much difference having good quality, long exposure data makes. I also learnt a lot in the process of getting Alnitak under control!

Olly, I remembered what you said about the potential contrast issue with ICE so thought I'd give Maxim a go. Once I'd worked out how to do (good learning experience!) I thought it seemed OK so decided to stick with it. On the background, I think I need to get my laptop and desk top screens calibrated properly to ensure consistency.

Ron, I do feel like I've moved up a gear or two, and I'm desperate to go gather more data and try it all myself now! In the meantime I'm going to fish out some old data and see what I can do with it.

Helen

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yep, quite pleased!

Seriously, its given me confidence that once I've managed to get more good quality data routinely I can start turning out good quality images. Its also kept me going over the last few nights' frustrations :)

Helen

Archived