SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone used a Revelation Quartz Dielectric 2"?

astroimpulse

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy the William optics 2" Dielectric which is an ok price. Their Quartz version is double so not worth it for what quartz offers (more stable to temps). If I was going to be a big time observer then maybe...but I'm going to be doing AP mostly.

I then stumbled upon the Revelation 2" Quartz Dielectric. It's only £80 new which is a great price but I'd like to know if anyone has used one?

I'd rather the WO Dielectric if the reviews aren't so good on the Revelation. It's considerably cheaper than the competition and cheap isn't always good.

Many thanks

I agree that cheap isn't always good but, having tried quite a lot of decent quality diagonals, IMHO there is not a lot to pick between the most expensive I've used (Tele Vue Everbright 2") and Revelation branded clone of the William Optics dielectric which cost 1/3rd of the price of the Tele Vue. So it's one area where I've stopped paying out for premium priced items now :D

Ditto what John says. Diagonals are one area where you can seriously waste a lot of money with no, or very little, visible return.

I've had the TV Everbright, Stellarvue and Lumicon dielectric diagonals. All great diagonals but in use do not add anything over the Revelation or Skywatcher Dielectric models. Grab the Revelation, it's a great diagonal for the money. I've been looking at the 1.25" model for our 90mm achro.

Generally it's the build quality that's the biggest difference in the more expensive diagonals. In particular the mounting of the mirror and how accurately it's collimated, and also it's ability to maintain collimation if knocked. The mirrors themselves are also more accurately made and the coatings are better and more durable, but assuming that the cheaper diagonal is properly collimated the difference is small, at least that is when they're brand new.

I've used the Revelation Quartz diagonal and it was very, very good and I couldn't tell any difference optically between it and a WO dielectric diagonal.

In a direct comparison between the WO, Revelation and an AstoPhysics Maxbright diagonal on my FLT98 (using Ethos eyepieces) the AP was just that little bit sharper with a little more contrast. It's not a huge improvement, but it meant I was able to see just a bit more with it.

So would I recommend the Revelation (GSO) Quartz diagonal? Definitely as it's a great buy for an excellent quality diagonal, but do be aware that at that price point quality control isn't going to be as consistent as the more expensive diagonals.

John

Thanks John.

That is the concern that prompted getting feedback. QC etc.

I think as observing will take a back seat to imaging (when I get all the kit), buying at the top end wouldn't be wise. But equally...buying tat would just be throwing money down the drain too.

Looks like it's a good bet. Nearly bought it before but decided to put the feelers out and see if anyone has one for sale :D

• 2 years later...

Just come into this post 2 years late....... I am in the hunt for a 2" diagonal and was seriously considering the Celestron XLT as it is a screw fit rather than a push fit, but someone suggested the Revelation and at half the price of the Celestron I am definately going to investigate it further.

Malc I have a TeleVue 2" everbrite dielectric diagonal which I bought for my Astro Tech 4" APO because I thought I needed the best. Recently I bought a Revelation 2" Quartz dielectric SCT fit (the one that you want) to use with my William Optics SD66 frac because I wanted to use my 26mm Nagler with this scope.

I must admit I cannot see any difference between the views that I get from these 2 diagonals - so I would recommend this Revelation Astro diagonal to you.

Mark

Archived