Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 405 The Flaming Star Nebula

MartinB

I got a couple of hours Ha data on this last year but the RGB stuff was ruined by cloud and a full moon. It was enough to make me want to come back. I wanted to get the blue reflection "flames". There was some moon but it was well away from Auriga'

The brightly burning coal in the image is the star AE Aurigae. The blue light knocks off electrons from the surrounding hydrogen. When the hydrogen regains it's electron the Ha red is emitted. The blue is reflection of the star light off the surrounding dust. It is pretty dim.

Scope: Tak FSQ 106

Camera: QSI 532 ws

Guiding: ZS66 with Lodestar camera

Captured, calibrated, aligned and combined with Maxim. Processed in PS with a brief dip into PixInsight.

Ha (Baader 7nm) 7x15min and 12x20 min.

RGB (astronomic type II) R and G 20x200secs B 20x300secs unbinned

A total of 720 calibration frames.

RGB with Ha added (red with 15% blue) and an Ha (+:) luminosity at 75% opacity

Have posted the luminence as well.

post-12794-133877502737_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877502743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot guys. You're right Harry, it is pretty faint especially the blue reflection nebulosity

looking brilliant maybe one day i might go for ccd imager

If I could have any camera of my choice I would still go with the QSI 532 for imaging in the UK. It's a real shame it's an expensive chip in an expensive package.

Lovely stuff and an inspired choice of framing. Usually I think people go at right angles to this but what you have done is bring out the S shaped curve of the main nebula and given the image a sweeping rhythm. I love the contrast in background sky as well between right and left.

In fact it looks very much as if the nebula is rotating, don't you think, anticlockwise and face on to us.

Olly

A classy deep sky Image indeed. As wonderful an example of data collection, and supreme processing technique as you'd see anywhere. That really ought to grace the centre page of a magazine. A terriffic job Martin.:)

Ron.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived