Greetings!

Wood.Justin

Hello all,

It's by complete chance that I found this forum... I'm a complete novice to the whole star gazing scene. I have an interest in aviation and space but nothing like this before... I always wanted a telescope when I was a kid but never did get one. I'm a keen photographer and have hands on experience with nice expensive Canon DSLR equipment and nice white L-Glass lenses! Unfortunately I no longer shoot like this but I am still keen...

Let me tell you a little story...

I was driving home from work last night and I noticed a bright "star" at the 7 o'clock to the Moon and thought to myself "what could that be?!" After many Google searches I stumbled upon my answer. It was Jupiter! Amazing I thought...

I'd been using an ancient pair of 10 X 50 Bins for spotting planes flying overhead and decided to whip these out and have a closer look at the Moon/Jupiter. WOW!! The detail of the moon was amazing and we even made out a couple of the moons of Jupiter... My other half was very impressed with this too!

After much hmm'ing and ahh'ing I've ordered a pair of Celestron 15 X 70 SkyMasters from FLO. They are due to arrive tomorrow! So with that in mind I am looking at getting myself kitted out for ultimate moon/star/planet viewing.

Anyway, whilst I wait in anticipation for my new Bins to arrive I will scour the forum and familiarise myself with the place.

I look forward to sharing and meeting some like minded folk, for now over and out!

Regards,

Justin :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Justin and welcome to SGL :)

Yup it was the moon and binocs that got me 'n' the missus hooked - you should see 4 moons round Jupiter in the new binocs (so long as they ain't hiding behind the planet). Download Stellarium - you'll love it - especially cos its free. Let us know how you get on with the 15x70's and enjoy the forum :)

Hi Justin,

A very warm welcome to SGL, you have ordered a nice pair of bins and you should enjoy the views, but you will have to use one of your photographic tripods to keep them steady, as well as Stellarium, have a look in our bins section there is also a free program called TUBA, especially created for bins users, star maps you can alter to suit and then print for taking outside,enjoy the forum.

John.

Hello guys,

Thanks for your warm welcomes and kind words.

My Bins arrived today, we had a quick play and I'm very impressed so far. It's a shame that the weather is so awful and cloudy otherwise I think we would have been outside for a while tonight gazing around. :)

I will be looking at getting a tripod of some descript in the future as I currently do not own one. (!)

Cheers again guys!

Justin :)

Archived