Hello

JohnnyLarge

I'm John from Chesterfield in Derbyshire. I have an 8-year old Daughter who loves looking at the moon and stars through a £1 Tasco 20-60 scope I got from a charity shop. I also have a 4-year old boy and a Wife who is interested in astronomy too.

We have had some good views of the moon in the last few months but struggle because the scope isn't steady on it's tripod and the optics are ropy at best.

It is her birthday in January and unbeknown to her, I have just bought her a Celestron Firstscope 76 all boxed up and never used for £20 off e-bay. I had a little look through it at objects out of the window during the day and am impressed at the optics on such a little thing. I have just ordered her a new accessory kit for it. I found one on Amazon for £13 delivered.

I know it's not the greatest telescope going but I've not invested too much if she decides it's not for her. It will make a great little ornament in the window. (and for me to use :))

I can't wait for us to use it and hope to see some new stuff. I have downloaded Stellarium and am researching some basic maps etc to point us round a little.

I'm hoping we can learn a little from you guys on here.

What kind of stuff can we expect to see on a clear night given the little scope we have? (I know we won't see stars close up!!):D

Regards

John & Family:)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John, I'm John from Alabama USA. Truly, it is a small scope but don't sell it short. You can have great views of the Moon and Jupiter and Saturn as well as countless open clusters and globular clusters. The Orion Nebula will be awesome. Get you a good sky chart and you will be impressed with this "small" scope. Clear skies.

A warm welcome to SGL John and Family,

How nice that a whole family has the same interest in astronomy.

It is a fascinating hobby, and it can become addictive and expensive. You have invested in a small scope, and it should show you some of the brighter object, The moon obviously, Jupiter is available in the south, and unmistakably bright, looking like a bright star, but the scope should show it as a disc, and perhaps it's four main moons. These will be fairly close to the planet, and maybe either side of it, or invisible if the are behind it, depending on where they are in their orbits around Jupiter.

Lots to see, so perhaps if you buy a book called 'Turn Left at Orion', would be of help to you.

Any questions you want to ask, just post in the beginners section, and lots of helpful people will respond.

Good luck with the new scope.

Ron.:)

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I've not heard of this scope so had a little look around and to be honest the news isn't great. A simple google search of reviews reveal that although the scope SHOULD be ok it isn't. The main problem would appear to be that there is no means of collimating the primary mirror, namely that the mirror at the bottom of the tube cannot be aligned with the smaller mirror and the focuser in order that an image can be brought to focus. The only adjustment available is with the secondary mirror (small mirror at the top of the tube) so it seems that its going to be a matter of luck as to whether you get a good one or duff one from the factory. The only screws at the bottom of the mirror actually release the entire mirror assembly instead of being a means of aligning the mirror with the secondary. There is very little in the instructions to help with this and in fact Celestron ask that any difficulties be referred back to them - not a good sign. There is a 'proper' manual accessible from their website which provides more information but to be honest, if you can't make any adjustment, then these extra notes are pointless. There is no finder with the scope and there would appear to be issues with the focusing with part of the image being in focus whilst other parts are not, which would suggest that the mirror is not consistently spherical. There are some reports of shadows appearing over parts of the image which might indicate a focuser problem.

I have to be honest, with all that I have read this is an example of a scope where the quality control over its production is very inconsistent, which is a disappointment given the manufacturer involved. I am not suggesting that the one you have purchased will necessarily be poor and of course only those that have a problem are the ones reported, which itself can give a false impression of the effectiveness of the total number of these products out there. What is clear, is that they are made to a price and a keen one at that and I genuinely hope that you have one of the better ones. I would suggest that you google the reviews of this scope to make sure that before you wrap it all up for your daughter that there aren't any of the faults described.

I hope I haven't been too depressing but I would rather be honest than polite with regards to the expectations of the 'little ones', especially on their birthday.

James

HI from me too - I;d not worry about the technical aspects of this telescope for an 8 year old. Even the meanest of telescopes will provide some wonder to a child, as your £1 Tasco purchase shows, where something more 'with it' may actually be too complicated and end up putting them off.

Just berwear putting the scope in the window - make sure it has a cap on its tube so that the sun doesnt go down there - these things act as a super powerful magnifying glass and I'd hate to see your curtains going up in flams. Safe enough so long as you keep a cap over its end. Also (and its so obvious I am sure you know this) never let your children try and look at the sun with ANY telescope because you can be blinded for life - to be fair I have never known anyone do it but its standard advice.

I think she will love it myself - its a good little scope for a child to learn a little with and at that price its happiness on the cheap.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Mel

Thanks for the warm welcome!:)

I've had a quick looksee through the scope out of the bedroom window using both supplied lenses. One is 15x and the other 75x.

Looking at a tree about 60 yards away, I could focus on individual twigs with the 15x and buds with the 75x. I could also see tiny marks on the fascia boards on the house 70 yards away and bring them into focus quite nicely.

The diference between this Celestron Firstscope and the old Tasco 20-60x40 is amazing. The same stuff is blurred and looks milky yellow in comparison with the Tasco.

The accessory kit has arrived too. It's a pity we have to wait until January to use it!

My Daughter has been amazed with what she can see already, the new scope should really be a nice present for her.

I'm going to keep my eyes out for better quality eyepieces and maybe a Barlow lens. I'm sure something reasonably priced will turn up as I am a good bargain hunter.

ATB

John:D

Archived