NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evening

scubaian

I've always been a little bit interested in astronomy and the bigger picture (Thanks to 'A brief history of time'!)

Found out about Hartley2 passing this month and read up about it, realised i'd probably need a telescope so bought a skywatcher startravel 80mm refractor scope.

Thought i saw Jupiter the other night, was disappointed as it was just a large white dot (got a feeling now that it might have been a star??????)

Couldn't see Hartley as the range of view from my garden is very hampered by surrounding woodland (probaly the reason why i thought a star was Jupiter too)

Looking forward to getting to know thte skies a bit better.

My first aims are to see a couple of planets in focus so i can recognise them. I know this will be an awesome experience!

I'll shut up now. Hope to speak to you all some time soon

Hi and welcome to the site, your get all the help you need here...i do.

You wont miss Jupitar, looking south it's the brightest star you will see, it will be low in the sky at first then get higher and move more west as it gets later, look at it with the low power eyepiece (25mm?) first, if you can see 4 moons around it you got it, but believe me you will know it when you find it

Hi Scubaian,

A very warm welcome to SGL, if you down load the free program Stellarium you should find the location of a lot Astronomical wonders on view from your location with your scope, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Hello and welcome to SGL

Jupiter is very bright a the moment and it should be to the south of you. It is still fairly low in elevation so if you viewed it when it was close to the horizon you have to look through a lot of very annoying atmosphere. Try looking it again when its risen a bit more.

Try using stellarium which is a free planetarium. Its easy to use

You can see 4 of jupiters moons through binoculors.

Hi Scbiain and welcome to SGL :)

As mentioned above - Jupiter is in the South at the moment and there's no mistaking it. Initially use a low power ep (25mm or more). And I second use of "Stellarium" - it's totally free and a very useful learning tool.

Cheers

Hi Scubaian, welcome to the forum.

If you fancy getting up early, Saturn is beginning to rise just before the Sun. (Don't use the scope near the Sun, or you will fry the back of your eyeball)

When you get Stellarium sorted, it will help planning what you can see, and when.

Clear skies.

Archived