NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 26th October.....

Kokatha man

Hi all, it's been quite a while since I've posted anything on SGL.....although I've dropped in regularly to see what folks have been doing....!:D

This apparition of Jupiter has been quite diabolical here in South Australia as far as the weather/seeing has been concerned, with a very small window of about 10 minutes on 26th October where it might have reached 7.5+/10 being the best opportunity by far....!:D:mad:

Even this night was very problematical earlier on as my scope's peltiers were pulling the mirror temperature down: I came out to check the mirror's temp and found a shower of rain had came down whilst I was inside.....fortunately I thought it was a passing shower and wiped the scope dry and left it out there.....and the clouds cleared away!

Changing from the old DBK which had given me such fine service and results up till recent months required a steep learning/acquainting period.....this in itself would've been challenging enough, but compounding issues was the fact that I suffered every know software glitch.....and several hitherto unknown ones!!!

Program incompatibility (particularly FlyCap/FireCap with IC.Cap which I had from the DBK days) and a plethora of other little issues kept me grounded for most of the first 2 months since I purcheased the mono Flea3 camera and EFW etc.....and there were other issues that eventually had me purchase a new 64bit laptop with quad-core and usb3 facilities to handle the data transfer of this camera.....

Anyway, now that Jupiter is fast motoring away from Earth and shrinking quickly all the problems seem to be resolved.....but at least I can look forward to Mars and Saturn in the coming months.....and when I finally get the stepper drivers for my 16" newt sorted out the Flea will make an awesome companion for that scope....!:)

Here's my final processing of this one avi where I got a glimmer of seeing.....I have more heavily-processed ones that show more detail, but I strive for a balanced, smooth processing.....and this one is nearest the money in that respect.....

Hopefully I'll get one last chance at Jove in some really decent seeing before he's too far away....!:)

post-16205-133877497393_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas - as I just said elsewhere, seeing has been really diabolical this apparition for many of us all over the place.....and that's leaving aside the endless nights of cloud and rain!

Indicative of this is this out-of-focus star pattern.....there were 22 frames (including these 5) that I found in a short avi using the red filter on a 2nd-3rd magnitude star which I had hoped to fine-tune my collimation on at the time.....I have literally gone through the whole 1059 frames of this 20-odd fps avi and these are the best by far....!:mad:

You can most probably imagine just how much worse the onscreen image would've been for me where you don't have the benefit of freezing and working on a single frame.....most of the time the star's image was a jelly-blob!:D

Little wonder I haven't been able to fine-collimate in more than a week.....:)

Single frame screenshots taken from Registax, and only having levels lifted a bit for increased clarity.....sorry about that central alignment circle in each - I was lazy and just used the R5 alignment boxes to delineate each screenshot....!:):D

post-16205-133877497508_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone - I'm about to leave in the next few minutes for the bush again and hopefully find some nice seeing.....scope etc just went in the van a few minutes ago, after a strip-down and clean/overhaul of the sliding legs assemblies of the tripod .....a necessity after being in the backyard these last couple of weeks: we love our dog Max - but by golly he treats every post-like object the same....!:D:):mad::D

Archived