brilo pad to clean the mirror?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the mirror is really filthy it's best to leave it - it's amazing how much junk can be on a mirror without impacting it's performance.

If you really need to do it then you need to remove the mirror in it's cell from the scope to do it - when I had to do one I followed the guidance on this web page:

http://www.astro-tom.com/tips_and_advice/cleaning_optics.htm

Just soak it in tepid water for a while to loosen any grime that may be on it's surface. Swill it off with running water, and stand it on it's edge to allow the water to run off. If it still isn't clean, repeat the procedure until it satisfies you it is clean. Don't be tempted to rub anything over it's surface, It may have a hard coating, but you can't tell by looking at it.

The final rinse should be done with distilled water. Any globules of water that are present, can be picked off with the corner of a tissue. Don't just leave them to dry, they may leave spots otherwise.

Finally, a dirty mirror will always perform better than a badly cleaned one, so treat this precious disc with care.:)

Ron.

Fill a sink with warm water(not hot), lather up with a small amount of soap flakes, place mirror on top of a small towel in sink and let it steep for about 10-15 mins, swish mirror around without touching the surface to loosen any particles, if you need to, wipe surface with cotton wool in a curved motion to get rid of any stubborn marks, but dont actually press hard on the surface with cotton wool, just wipe it very lightly. after you are satisfied that its clean, rince mirror with tepid water, empty sink and stand mirror on its side, make sure you have the weight of the mirror then pour some distilled water over surface, once satisfied with that stand mirror on its side somewhere safe and dry for a couple of hours, there you have it , a clean mirror.

Hope this helps,

Mark :)

Best not to bother, but in the event that the crud really offends you (or more likely your better half) and you don't mind that there is a good chance that you will end up getting the mirror recoated:

Blow off loose bits with a rubber bulb blower. Swill with weak methylated spirit (10% meths, 90% distilled water) for 10-15 mins. Do not touch the surface with anything! Replace the solution with fresh 10% meths & repeat. Rinse with copious quantities of distilled water (you will need about a gallon for a 6" to 8" mirror). Stand on edge & allow to dry - the film of liquid should stick evenly to the surface & evaporate cleanly if the surface is properly cleaned & degreased.

If this fails, get the mirror recoated ... modern coatings are better than the older ones, last longer as well as being more reflective.

brilo pad to clean the mirror?
Grüß Gott, I've just got back from work, and my sense of humour hadn't returned yet - I sat down with a cup of tea and scalded myself with it in shock!!

S'oright, it's kicked in now, hehehehe...:)

I use a tiny amount of washing up liquid, lots of warm water and use the soft pads of my ladylike fingers to clean the mirror - in that way if I can feel any hard spots, I apply the minimum amount of pressure.

Well i took the mirror out as it wanted collimating anyway ! Set too with the brilo...i mean lost of dilluted warm soapy water, soaked for 1 min or so, then used (gently) cotton wool. Washed of with lots of warm water, followed by water that had been through a carbon filter. Any water drops (which were not many as most of the water ran straight off) were dabbed away with soft tissue paper...result...no marks at all.

Mirror was then replaces and re aligned with a cheshire.....waiting for delivery of a laser ! !

pictures show before and after...(the bits on the after is dust resettling before i took the picture...) :)

post-21742-133877496098_thumb.jpg

post-21742-133877496106_thumb.jpg

Olly, never owned an MBG then:

Mirror cleaning should be considered at intervals comparable with car engine rebuilds.

Became so used to pulling an engine out I could do it in 2 hours, sometimes less.

Heads were removed in 15 minutes.

Olly, never owned an MBG then:

Became so used to pulling an engine out I could do it in 2 hours, sometimes less.

Heads were removed in 15 minutes.

Certainly not! Used to race a 210 National kart, though. Don't clean your mirror once every 60 minutes!!!

Olly

it would be interesting to know if you actually notice a diffeence at the EP though?

Finally got a spell where i could actually see the stars!

MUCH better, then again i did re collimate the mirrors, star test produced a nice ring and the colour bands on jupiter were nicely defined...

80' grit worked wonders.....

...and while we're in the kitchen (!) is the water from my condensing tumble drier suitable for mirror cleaning? It is distilled (by definition) and it's certainly cheap and available.

Andy

Er, No Andy, definately dont use that! :) It might look clear but it must certainly wont be.

Archived