Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello!

AndyG63

Hi all,

Great forum! I feel I have to join - not least because it's with some shock that I realise I've been an amateur astronomer for about 35 years. :D

I'm here to improve my woeful astrophotography skills, and maybe occasionally rant about my night skies: I live on a hill and have a great view from the northeast via south to west from my back garden, with no trees or buildings to obscure the view above about ten degrees.

So what's wrong with that? Well, the sodium-lit skies of Airdrie, my hometown, make a mockery of the dark: a good night is about mag 3.0 with the naked eye. :) The incentive to buy better (bigger) equipment is outweighed by the need to stay portable enough to sling it all in the car and head out of town.

Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

Sounds an obvious question but have you tried using any light pollution filters? They're not a miracle cure but as they say, every little bit helps.

I live in Bristol, I won't say its bright at night but we've saved a small fortune in not having to turn on any lights at home when evening comes around.:D:D It might be a pain contemplating the need to be mobile but to be honest, sometimes its easier going out to the countryside to avoid the unnecessary 'creeping' around in your own garden or if you drop something on the floor you can curse at full volume - swearing in silence just isn't quite the same!!

Clear skies for your future obs.

James

Archived