NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planet collections

geppetto

Geoff posted on another thread his superb collection of planet images.

Anybody else fancy doing a collage of as many planets/planet they have taken

and posting them here for a bit of fun.

Will get mine done later such as it is.

Geoff can you post your collection again on here to start it of? :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool...havent got any planet shots myself....yet :D. Geoff what iss the top left one ?

CHUBSTER

Assuming I've got them in order of distance from the Sun, it should be Mercury.

Went out one evening with the binos and found it immediately. It was only about 11 degrees above the western horizon. Hastily assembled my stuff and took a quick image. No time for anything sophisticated as it lives up to its name and disappears quickly. In much the same way as the last two images of Uranus and Neptune, its more a case of getting any image you can when you can. Thank goodness the IAU took Pluto off the list!

Mercury is one image you won't see Hubble taking, as the angular separation from the Sun is too smal and it could fry the optics. All they had to do was ask me!

This seems to be the best of my lot. Taken since 2002. The last Jupiter image, the little one, was taken with my Olympus C700 digicam back in 2002. The remainder of the Jupiter images were taken in 2003 using my Intes-Micro M603 and Toucam Pro.

The Saturn images were taken over the last 3 years using various scopes, although mainly the Intes 603, C8 and Explorer 200.

Venus was with the Intes 603 too. And i cheated for Mercury, that little black dot on the sun is not a sun spot but Mercury.

Regards

Russ

post-12650-133877324315_thumb.jpg

Rus

That's a nice collection. I particularly like the Mars and Jupiter ones. Try as I might, I never really got as good an image of Mars as I wanted.

Venus is missing in my sequence. I actually have a Venus transit image from 2004, but I'm going to wait for a few months for the real thing. Want to see if I can improve on Saturn as well.

Trouble is, you never know if the next image you take will be the best you ever get.

A little small, but fantastic shots I see there, Ant.

You've missed two planets though...

Surely the earth is close enough...

Because they're so small I couldn't see any detail on Uran or Nep. The other night I had an idea to try and see uranus, as it's supposed to be mag 6, but i didn't get round to it.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew.

You did click on the image didn't you...?

Yeah the reason that they are small is that these were the thumbnails that were on my website, while I was building the sub pages containing the larger images my laptop was stolen and all the images went with it!!!!!

Cheers

Ant

• 3 months later...

Thought I would revive this one as I managed to complete my set with my first image of Venus.

It got me thinking that I may have to wait a while to improve on the set. It might be possible to get marginal improvements on my Mercury and Venus images, but probably not much on Uranus and Neptune as they are featureless disks at this distance anyway.

Jupiter is too low for us Northern Hemisphere folk, this winter has been pants for Saturn and the rings are closing up. Mars is back later but I'm not sure how good that will be.

Time for some deep-sky imaging methinks.

post-13129-13387732635_thumb.jpg

Great thread Phillip. I enjoyed going through my images from the last 14months especially digging out my first ever image using a borrowed Lidl 70mm. I sweated more over that image than any other! Saturn has been great though nothing but frustration with Jupiter. Looking forward to Mars in the Autumn.

image.jpg

Martin

I like the way you have presented differing images with a range of scopes.

I only really started planetary imaging when I got the Europa. For a long time I just couldn't get it right but you just have to stick at it. Still plenty of room for improvement.

My images may not be in the Damian Peach class or whatever, but they are mine and don't come out of a book or from the NASA website. I once actually got a back-handed compliment from my daughters science teacher. I printed some images off and she took them into school. The teacher said "you got those from the Internet"

Geoff

Archived