Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yet another new SPC900 Jupiter ! (30th)

bus_ter

Wow thanks for all the positive feedback, it's very encouraging!

To answer some of he questions,

The telescope is a Skywatcher Mak 127. (seems to be the best budget planetary scope about, the same scope is also sold by Celestron, Orion and others..)

I used the included skywatcher 2x barlow for the above image. I also tried putting the Star Diagonal between the camera and barlow to act as a make shift extension tube and increase the image size. However at this magnification just touching the focus knob would knock Jupiter out of the picture. I need a more stable mount to go above 2x. (IMHO the Supatrak mount is at its limit with this scope)

I tried to focus the best I could, using the closest moon in the shot as a reference point. It was very difficult because everytime I touched the focus knob the image vibrated and I had to let it settle before evaluating and trying again.

One thing I've noticed is that the 'wavelets' in Registax will sharpen an image enough to make it look like it was in perfect focus, even if it's off. The final image giving less detail than one that was properly focussed. So don't let my final sharp image make you think I've achieved perfect foucus, because I'm pretty sure I didn't.

I captured about 600 frames for this image. I experimted with more and less but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm not that familar with Registax so used the default options for ALIGN, LIMIT, STACK. I have to say this process didn't really seem to improve the image at all. All the 'magic' happens with the Wavelets, which I adjusted to find the balance between a natural image and a sharp 'processed' image. The only other option I adjusted in Registax was the RGB align, which I let it do it's auto 'estimation' values.

Finally I opened in Photoshop and adjusted the brightness and Contrast to give a pleasing result.

If anyone has any advice to improve this image I will take it kindly :icon_salut: ...thanks for listening!

Archived