NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to Astronomy

Manok101

When I was little, my parents had a telescope, and I don't really remember very much, except seeing orion, and saturn. It was stolen long ago, and since then I've always wanted my own telescope. I've always kept up with astronomy news as best I could, and looked up at the sky in the evening once in awhile, but never really bought a telescope. I finally decided to make the plunge, and bought an Orion XT4.5, not wanting to break the bank on a hobby im just beginning. It has not quite arrived yet, is supposed to be here tomorrow, but until then I have been using a pair of very good binocs to look at stuff. Was this a good choice of a first scope? I've been looking forward to it, sadly though it appears the first night I will have the scope will be a rainy one.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome from Wales. Bad weather capital of the world, for ever night out in garden there's about 30 spent in front of Stellarium. For a newbie like me its a great free program, really helps when the sky gods allow me out, and thats not very often.

clear skies.:icon_salut:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It does seem that every purchase of astro equipment comes free with a voucher for an umbrella!!! Never mind, the nights are starting to get longer now and you've picked the right time of year to get started and your binos will help you learn the sky very quickly. Why not write up a report on your first night's observing with your new scope, doesn't have to be too technical just a short story on how you got on setting it up and on what you observed. Always helpful for beginners and experienced alike.

Wishing you clear skies!

James

Hi Manok, and welcome to the Forum and the world of Astronomy.

No-one seems to have answered your question

Orion XT4.5
Was this a good choice of a first scope?

I would say that you'll get some good views through this. People who have dobsonians swear by them. The one big drawback is that there is no motorised mount or tracking. This means you have to find the object manually (which is a challenge for some-one new) and the object will drift. Also the magification will probably be quite high and whilst this is good for what you are looking at it compounds the above probelms. But if you can conquer all this I think you'll be very pleased with it.

Carole

I had a very small taste last night, the image quality through the lens was very good, there unfortunately wasn't enough sky clear enough to be out observing for too long, nor to even begin to figure out what it was I was seeing, Jupiter kept cloud hopping, as soon as I'd find it again it'd go behind a cloud. Tonight at least by watching the sky today should be perfect, I am from South Carolina by the way.

Archived