Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead from Kelling

daz

When I saw Orion pop his head up over the trees, I just had to swing the scope over.... :)

I some slight issues with the mirror moving in the cell, consequently, there is some trailing in the top right hand corner which I hope I have removed without affecting too much of the image.

I also need to reread my notes on processing, however, here is my best effort...

To say I am chuffed with this would be an understatement!!

Subs: 3 x 20mins, dark, bias, flat field corrected

Scope: 12" f/4 Newtonian

Imaging Camera: SXVF-H9

Guide Camera: SX Lodestar on SX OAG

Filter: Baarder 7nm Ha in SX FW

Mount: EQ6 + EQDIR + EQMOD

Acquired, guided, registered, aligned, stacked in Maxim

Post Processing in CS3

post-12674-133877482376_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fabulous and in the twinkling of an eye. Did you do some sharpening? It looks like that on the stars because they are showing dark haloes - just. If you sharpen only the Head it might look even better. Narrowband stars tend to be almost over sharp at birth and can be 'blocky' so I often soften them.

Olly

That is awesome. I've saved a copy of the colour one to my favourites :)

I find the red image brings out more of the detail (look to the right hand side) as well as giving a good depth of field.

Is it just me or does the horsehead not really look like a horse's head, but more like a spray bottle or fire-extinguisher head?

Archived