Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead from Kelling

daz

Thanks Chaps :)

In the process of designing a new flat-field box for the 12", and sort the mirror movement which I suspect I have. Aim to get this done soon so when he pokes his head up at a reasonable hour, I can do him real justice!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics, pics, pics! Would like to see your new lightbox.

I think I need to do something similar as my flats aren't particularly accurate (whoever posted up the idea of stretching a t-shirt over the end of the scope - it doesn't work very well!)

That topic was an interesting read. I'm surprised with the large number of retailers selling a larger number of imaging products and yet there's nothing out there for producing easy flat fields.

Making a box is nice for home but not so good for taking out into the field, so to speak. Plus, I'm slightly put off making a box for a scope when I don't know how long I'll keep it (Change is a good thing ;)).

I'm intrigued to see how your project goes, Daz - and I'll be following SlySi84's lightbox progress 'n' all :) (Before I embark on any DIY myself :p)

But the field is probably where you need it most! You need to be taking flats with the camera in the same position/orientation/focus point as the lights, otherwise they ain't no good!!

Cheers Pete, hopefully add lots more to it later on....

But the field is probably where you need it most! You need to be taking flats with the camera in the same position/orientation/focus point as the lights, otherwise they ain't no good!!

Cheers Pete, hopefully add lots more to it later on....

What do you do at the moment to take your flats, Daz? What did you do at Kelling?

For the ED80, I have an EL panel that just sits on top of the dew shield (scope points straight up).

At Kelling, I used "Sky Flats" - waiting until there was enough light in the sky to get through the Ha filter and using SkyFlats plug in Maxim to calculate the exposure needed and take the image... But would rather have the light box to get repeatable images of the same duration - bit more control available...

Archived